E-drivers pick up the glove against German 'AMS' magazine

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevei3

Hi guys,

on this side of the pond, there was much upheaval lately about the testresults of a large 'Praxistest' of E-cars in the German 'Auto Motor Sport' magazine, one of the leading magazines in Germany, possibly in Europe. The claimed practical ranges of the different cars were far below actual practical ranges of users.

A rather large group of German E-drivers took up the challenge of proving the magazine wrong. One guy even betted his Tesla that the testresults were, to put it mildly, wrong. His bet was taken up by AMS, but they got cold feet at the last moment and weazeled out. Some coverage of the event could be seen on the German (national) TV, but for you, non-German speakers, a rather informative graphic is perhaps more enlightening:

Image linked from the 'Goingelectric' forum, I hope they don't mind....

The RED bars are the claimed ranges in the article. The 'ADAC' results are from the German motoring club, the 'Werksangabe' is the official factory info. The test was recreated with different speeds, on the same stretch of road, driving in both directions to minimize the influence of the wind on the results.

i3 isn't scoring bad, for a vehicle with a usable 18.8 kWh :)

Regards, Steven

PS: the correct Anglo-Saxon phrasing could be: 'take up the gauntlet'. Sorry 'bout my limited English writing skills.

Back