US Market - No Traffic Jam Assist on i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcmhogan

BMW Description:

Traffic Jam Assistant
The Traffic Jam Assistant operates at speeds from 0 to 40 km/h (25 mph) and offers optimal support in dense highway traffic. Just like the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, this system – which does not deactivate after a brief stop – maintains a given following distance and relative speed to traffic in front. Along with longitudinal control, the Traffic Jam Assistant also provides lateral control. That is to say, it steers the car as well, via the electronic steering system, keeping the vehicle precisely in its lane and providing an exceptional level of driver comfort.

The Traffic Jam Assistant only functions in conjunction with the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, which operates over a speed range from 0 to 140 km/h (87 mph). The two systems, which are finely dovetailed, support the driver all the way from standstill up to speeds of 140 km/h (87 mph). The Traffic Jam Assistant, too, is a solely vision-based system, which uses data supplied by the mono camera on the front windscreen.

The Traffic Jam Assistant begins operating when a preceding vehicle is detected. A further requirement is a pair of lane markings to allow the vehicle to identify its own traffic lane. Once the system has been activated, the Traffic Jam Assistant begins functioning any time the vehicle slows to a speed within the system’s operating range, for example due to road congestion. Once the traffic has cleared, the driver must first authorize higher speeds either by operating the accelerator or by pressing the RES button on the multifunction steering wheel, which hands over control to the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function.

Although drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel even when the Traffic Jam Assistant is in operation, they are nevertheless free, in these relatively non-challenging situations, to devote their attention to monitoring and navigating the traffic around them. In situations where the requirements for safe operation of the Traffic Jam Assistant are not met – for example when negotiating narrow lanes through construction, or if the driver does not have his hands on the steering wheel – the Assistant prompts the driver to take over control again.

The Traffic Jam Assistant is designed to improve driver comfort and convenience on freeways. It can only be specified in conjunction with a Business or Professional navigation system, which is required in order to identify this category of road. The Traffic Jam Assistant is not available in the US market.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/01/07/c...mated-driving-new-control-assistance-systems/

This feature was previously slated for release in the US in the new 2014 F15 X5 and the 2014 F10 LCI 5 Series starting with 12/13 production. However it appears these features were removed from the US Config prior to start of production.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14690170#post14690170

So, is BMW holding back these features from Non "i" vehicles for 2014 or do you think this is an indication that there will be no Traffic Jam Assist in the US market for the i3?

Thoughts?

cdcmhogan said:
BMW Description:

Traffic Jam Assistant
The Traffic Jam Assistant operates at speeds from 0 to 40 km/h (25 mph) and offers optimal support in dense highway traffic. Just like the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, this system – which does not deactivate after a brief stop – maintains a given following distance and relative speed to traffic in front. Along with longitudinal control, the Traffic Jam Assistant also provides lateral control. That is to say, it steers the car as well, via the electronic steering system, keeping the vehicle precisely in its lane and providing an exceptional level of driver comfort.

The Traffic Jam Assistant only functions in conjunction with the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, which operates over a speed range from 0 to 140 km/h (87 mph). The two systems, which are finely dovetailed, support the driver all the way from standstill up to speeds of 140 km/h (87 mph). The Traffic Jam Assistant, too, is a solely vision-based system, which uses data supplied by the mono camera on the front windscreen.

The Traffic Jam Assistant begins operating when a preceding vehicle is detected. A further requirement is a pair of lane markings to allow the vehicle to identify its own traffic lane. Once the system has been activated, the Traffic Jam Assistant begins functioning any time the vehicle slows to a speed within the system’s operating range, for example due to road congestion. Once the traffic has cleared, the driver must first authorize higher speeds either by operating the accelerator or by pressing the RES button on the multifunction steering wheel, which hands over control to the camera-based Cruise Control with Stop & Go function.

Although drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel even when the Traffic Jam Assistant is in operation, they are nevertheless free, in these relatively non-challenging situations, to devote their attention to monitoring and navigating the traffic around them. In situations where the requirements for safe operation of the Traffic Jam Assistant are not met – for example when negotiating narrow lanes through construction, or if the driver does not have his hands on the steering wheel – the Assistant prompts the driver to take over control again.

The Traffic Jam Assistant is designed to improve driver comfort and convenience on freeways. It can only be specified in conjunction with a Business or Professional navigation system, which is required in order to identify this category of road. The Traffic Jam Assistant is not available in the US market.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/01/07/c...mated-driving-new-control-assistance-systems/

This feature was previously slated for release in the US in the new 2014 F15 X5 and the 2014 F10 LCI 5 Series starting with 12/13 production. However it appears these features were removed from the US Config prior to start of production.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14690170#post14690170

So, is BMW holding back these features from Non "i" vehicles for 2014 or do you think this is an indication that there will be no Traffic Jam Assist in the US market for the i3?

Thoughts?

I've been vacillating between the new X5 and the i3 as I shop for a new car, so I've been closely monitoring the X5 forum discussions. From everything I've seen on those, BMW has not yet offered a direct explanation for why they have deleted the initially promised Traffic Jam Assist from the US versions of the new X5. But the general assumption from those participating in the forums is that BMW is concerned about legal liability issues in the US that they might encounter if someone has an accident while using this feature. If that assumption is correct, then one would think BMW's lawyers would have the same fear across all models in the US and thus the i3 would not offer TJA either. Bummer.

Surge said:
So as I understand it the steering wheel icon on the steering wheel is what controls this feature.

Can someone in the US confirm - is this button missing altogether on US models with the tech package?

http://media.caranddriver.com/image...-mounted-controls-photo-595113-s-1280x782.jpg

Steering icon? I would have thought it is the silver trim inlay . This ring of silver is all round the steering wheel therefore able to make contact with your hand and thus confirming that the steering wheel is being held.

BoMW said:
Surge said:
So as I understand it the steering wheel icon on the steering wheel is what controls this feature.

Can someone in the US confirm - is this button missing altogether on US models with the tech package?

http://media.caranddriver.com/image...-mounted-controls-photo-595113-s-1280x782.jpg

Steering icon? I would have thought it is the silver trim inlay . This ring of silver is all round the steering wheel therefore able to make contact with your hand and thus confirming that the steering wheel is being held.

What the hell does that have to do with the traffic jamb assist button?????

The "steering wheel" icon is bottom left of the left hand set of steering wheel controls. That controls this feature.

I think the "steering" icon being referred to in the answer above is an interpretation of how that feature defects that you have your hands on the wheel. Simple confusion?

I waited for that feature in my F10 LCI but was too early by a month. Vexed. I'll be mad if the i3 in UK doesn't make it. Too much liability litigation in US I guess.

US cars get ACC Stop&Go + Active Drive Ast. in the Tech + Driving Assist package. (Odd spacing and abbreviations are verbatim from the window sticker.) But Traffic Jam Assist is not included. My steering wheel has two buttons dedicated to ACC. Top decreases following distance. Bottom increases.

IMG_3601.jpg

I agree with the speculation that we can blame the lawyers. Likewise our Auto Parking feature requires clicking through a warning screen that doesn't seem to be present in the videos posted from the UK.

Thanks. So in the US you get a different button in the lower right corner of that side of the steering wheel.

Looks like Canada gets the proper traffic jam assistant!
Canadian website:
The traffic jam assistant can control the BMW i3 autonomously up to a speed of 40 km/h during traffic jams.

Maybe we also get the 9L fuel tank in Canada?!

Sorry I got that wrong. It is as you say the bottom right button that is used to activate it. Special new symbol containing a steering wheel and two lane markings. Then instead of the bottom right and top right buttons being used to set the distance - top to increase bottom to decrease - the top button works to cycle through the distance set up from 4 bars to 1. You just keep pressing until you get what you want. That frees up a button which is used for activating the traffic jam assistant.

mindmachine said:
BoMW said:
Surge said:

What the hell does that have to do with the traffic jamb assist button?????

Confusion, I thought the question was how it is controlled and not how to switch the feature on!

I tried to use this feature while crawling up the A12 near Olympic village. It wasn't able to function because it did not register a strong road marking line, so I suppose the steering had no guidance.
This made me think, recalling journeys I made in the past on LA freeways that, there is a lack of defined lane markings, sometimes metal pins/studs every 3 yards. Without a defined line of paint I doubt TA+ will work.

The "Lane departure warning" feature, sadly not on i3, works pretty well in picking up lines. Usually it is green on B roads as it seems to track the edge condition , kerb or mud, rather than a white line. Still you are right it could be if the i3 doesn't have the cameras downward looking in the wing mirrors it's going to have to rely on the forward looking camera which sounds like it's not quite so hot.

Surge said:
Thanks. So in the US you get a different button in the lower right corner of that side of the steering wheel.

Looks like Canada gets the proper traffic jam assistant!
Canadian website:
The traffic jam assistant can control the BMW i3 autonomously up to a speed of 40 km/h during traffic jams.

Maybe we also get the 9L fuel tank in Canada?!

I picked up my canadian i3 yesterday and while I have the tech package (including what they call Driving Assistant Plus) and while the canadian website DOES say that Traffic Jam Assist is included with these options, I cannot see the appropriate button on my steering wheel for this nor fins a way for it to work. I am afraid that when i ask BMW they will tell me it is an error in the website :( and it is not available in Canada.

You can see it clearly written on the Canadian website... http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/safety.html

Back