NC State's CCS Design

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadnashuanh

In today's Green Car Reports, there was an article describing a CCS design from the labs at NC State that is about 1/2 the price of most other 50Kw units out there, smaller, and scalable to also support up to 800v and 350Kw charging. It's small enough so that it could be mounted on a pole, similar to most EVSEs.

The cost and size of the existing products makes it harder to justify most places installing one. Cutting the cost (and it's more efficient, too) is a good step forward. Hope they actually make it into a commercial product soon.

i'm always glad to see cost reduction :). I think the installation places (hotels, gas stations, and even Walmart) don't pay for the installation....the charging companies do. It's been my experience that the employees of installation places don't know anything about the stations, sometimes they don't even know they have one or where it is!

Lower hardware costs can make it easier for employers to consider installing one at their workplace or other businesses to differentiate themselves and entice consumers to patronize their establishments. It also should improve the business case of installing one, even with a charging company verses an unassociated business. Even if a unit is part of say Chargepoint's network, the local establishment may decide whether it is free or available for a fee. Cutting the cost by half may entice more free ones to show up.

Back