So Cal 2016 i3 Price Negotiations

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onezerohero

I scanned this forum for buying tactics, etc., and it appears that 8-10% off MSRP (before incentives, etc.) is recommended target for So Cal BMW i3 transactions. However, stock in So Cal is very low, and MY2017s with larger battery capacity are starting to appear. Do you think a better than 10% off MSRP could be done... 13% off, 15%off...?

For an outgoing model year that was recently replaced, I would aim for something along the lines of 12% off MSRP prior to incentives. If it sits there into the new year, then maybe more like 15% off.

The 2016's got blown out in July so there is very minimal stock left. Cars.com is saying 6 new 2016's left in SoCal. I bet there are a few more floating around but that's it.

Perhaps not a surprise that the remaining cars are at BMW centers that are known for not being cheap. The dealers willing to cut prices and move carbon already got rid of their stock. Getting big discounts might be hard as they might be using the "wait for the sucker" pricing strategy.

Based on all this I'd say the chances of getting a screaming deal on a 2016 located in SoCal are slim to none. You might have better luck waiting for mid-late December and striking a deal on a 2017.

Interestingly they are a few 2015's still on there but I'm guessing they are probably actually already sold and lazy dealers just haven't turned off the listings. But you never know and that might be a way to get a deal as those are now 2 model years old.

True. Before the Labor Day Weekend, I called all over So Cal for any i3s in stock and basically all flushed except one - Santa Monica BMW. They had 7 on the lot! That Friday and over the weekend I tried negotiating, but it came down to management will only go $2k off MSRP :evil:

That stinks. Really seems they're working hard to compensate for losses taken on the 2014s and 2015s (NorCal tends to be pricey, but back in March there were several dealers parting with their 2015s for 15-20% off MSRP...I assume SoCal was the same)

A few days ago I found another 2016 i3 REx at a different dealer that would only go as far as 6.5% off MSRP.

I'm not sure if my negotiating skills are $#!++y or... what? My starting point is 13% off MSRP but I'd be happy with >= 8%. Is that asking for too much?

I'm on the other coast, talked to many dealers, their willingness to reduce the price varied widely. Call/write/go around. It's not like you have one dealer in a 100 miles radius. I got my car from a dealer 120 miles away.

There's a 2016 model near me that is almost $10K off (approaching 20% from MSRP). It's got unrepaired hail damage, though.

Back