Xipper

Re: I want the REX...do I need it?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:09 am

ElVerde wrote:For Clarity: I am renting the house...that's why I don't want to install it.

The German Shepherd is going ALL THE WAY in the back, not in the backseat :)

The more I research, the more the all-electric makes more sense.

I edited out a few statements as I am only responding to these.

A German Shepherd is _not_ going to fit in the very back, that just isn't happening unless you like to fold your dog into a duffle bag. I have a 60# lab mix, it would be impossible to get her behind the back seat. Perhaps a Maltese would fit, or maybe a Corgi...but a shepherd? Ha! In order to carry your dog you will have to fold down the back seat, and then every time you left off the gas and it kicks into regenerative braking the dog will fall forward and get 2 legs stuck between the front seats and the top of the folded down backseats.

An EV only makes sense if you can charge at home or the office _consistently_, as soon as you have to be reliant upon charging outside of those locations they lose all practicality...unless the EV range is long enough that you could truly make it many days without _needing_ to charge.

I would avoid the REx, I have one and _hate_ the REx part of it. It is an unnecessary annoyance that the dealer "sold" me into, it annoys me every couple of weeks when the idiotic maintenance cycle runs...and with your short driving it will only be more aggravating as it will never complete a cycle, so every time you get in the car will be this stupid flood of messages that you have to dismiss until it can complete a maintenance cycle.

Perhaps I am just bitter, as this is my first BMW and almost guaranteed to be my last. Between having a bad experience with a dealer (that everyone else loves, or at least every BMW fanatic does). The i3 is an OK car as long as you don't expect all of the gadgetry you are paying for to work consistently. The "Adaptive Cruise" mostly adapts into not working at least 30% of the time, which should also make you wonder how reliable the safety features that share the camera truly are. The software design around the REx is entirely horrible, why should I be backing out of my driveway and have a stupid warning gong and message blockout the backup camera to tell me that I can continue my trip...again, if I don't need to _worry_ about the maintenance cycle why do I need repeated popup dialogs that blank out whatever I am doing (Nav, backup camera, self-parking, etc). The back seat is entirely stupid geometry if anyone plans on using a car seat of any form, and entirely a compromise in safety for any occupant of the car seat.

Just know what you are getting, I would personally suggest anyone that cannot reliably charge at home to avoid an EV. All of the convenience goes away if you cannot consistently get a full charge at home...as being reliant upon a charge network is 100X worse than having to stop for gas.

sipabit

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 am

ElVerde wrote:I had a kid, sold my 911, and am trying to figure out what to buy. I don't want to spend a ton of money on some luxo-thing, but I like driving something somewhat unique. I would have kept the 911 if it weren't for wanting to hang out w/ my 7 month old, and it's hard to be satisfied with any other sports car after owning a 911...especially one w/ 4 doors.

I drive about 9 miles a day to and from work. My wife has a 2014 328xi wagon that we can use for longer trips. Obviously I don't need the REX, but I think I like the flexibility of having it if needed, if I take a work-role that requires more driving, etc.

Is there any appreciable maintenance cost difference/reliability concerns of REX vs non-REX?

Also, will a german shepherd fit in the back?

I'm thinking I will likely buy a used i3 rather than lease a new one...seems like a better value prop. Anything to be scared of buying one CPO?

The OP probably already bought one, but figured I can still reply for others reading.

Your kid will love the low window sills. S/he can see a ton more compared to the view from a "standard" car. With 9 miles a day, you don't need the REX at all. The whole benefit of an electric car is to not have to deal with all the plumbing of a gas car. You can avoid oil changes! Less stuff goes wrong with the BEV. Yes, a dog will fit in the back just fine. Yes, buy a used i3. The deals are the best out there. But I also encourage you to lease so that I can buy the lease return in a couple years for 50% off.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.

Milam
Gold Member

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Simple Suggestion/Answer

I am glad that I have a REX unit.
But, I have never needed it.

I would not order it.

sipabit

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:10 am

Agreed. If it's a second car, particularly. Having the REX means you have to do oil changes and other ICE related activities which sorta takes away from the whole freedom of owning an electric vehicle. I do have a REX as my daily mileage exceeds the battery capacity. I've been able to charge at both ends so far which means I haven't used the REX at all, but I suppose it's nice that it's there. If I worked in the same City that I worked, I'd for sure do without it and get the BEV model. But then again....

...the cost of the REX is not that much higher when buying used.

Bottom line? If you're in the city and don't commute more than 10 mi a day, you're totally fine w/o the REX. That situation may change if you visit far away family members and it's your only car. You get the idea.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.

wmd1404

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

ElVerde wrote:For Clarity: I am renting the house...that's why I don't want to install it.

I have a 2014 328xi wagon for longer trips...wife doesn't work.

The German Shepherd is going ALL THE WAY in the back, not in the backseat :)

The more I research, the more the all-electric makes more sense.

So now the question is....lease or buy a 14/15? Lease looks like 300ish/mo whereas buying would be writing a check for 18k or so...is 30 more miles of range really worth it???

I'm really pissed because last month the local utility here in San Diego was offering an ADDITIONAL 10k off of these things...I missed out.

I have had the BEV since August 2017 and have covered near 6000 miles, including 500 miles in a borrowed REX one weekend. There are no circumstances whatsoever in which I would entertain ever owning a REX. They are very noticeably slower and the already poor handling is worse - doubtless from the significant additional weight; the battery range is less - also doubtless from the significant additional weight; the noise of the REX when it is on is extremely annoying and the car's performance is muted during that time.

With DC charging and sensible forward thinking there is almost never a need to have to rely on the REX, and for all this you have to pay around £3k more for the privilege of carting around all that ICE junk that needs servicing just like a regular car. Absolutely no thanks - and yet 80% of i3 sales are the REX, which as far as I can see shows how little people new to EVs know, how little the dealers bother to explain the facts, and how needlessly insecure buyers are about range anxiety that really is more fiction than reality. I have never run flat yet in my BEV, and I only let the borrowed REX activate its REX function because the fuel in it I was told by the dealer I didn't need to replace and I was too lazy to stop for a charge under those circumstances.

I am waiting for the rumoured 120Ah battery upgrade allegedly due this year and then I will change, for another BEV. My last car was an AMG SLK doing 21mpg, less in town. I miss the performance, I miss the handling, I miss the good looks (the i3 really is an ugly bastard), and I miss the extremely comfortable seats and driving position but my god I don't miss the running costs.

Also, the borrowed REX I had was fitted with the small sat nav screen. That was awful. My car has the bigger screen and I hadn't appreciated what a difference it makes. That small screen in the borrowed car was nasty - so I suggest making the bigger screen a must-have accessory. Standard on the new model, and I suspect the small screen was only there to incentivise people to spend on the upgrade, but most didn't judging by the used ads.

kggkgg

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:59 am

Just bought a 1 year old 90Ah REX but only used the REX once in four weeks and that was deliberately to see how it worked. It was impressive and kicked in without us noticing and allowed continued normal use of the car beyond the electric range. virtually silent and all we noticed was the batt meter remained fixed at 5% or thereabouts. So my conclusion is that REX is a very impressive bit of kit but to be honest probably not needed for a second car . Definitely if its your only car though to allow unlimited range using gas.

Keith

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”