Blue20

Re: CHADEMO adapter

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks Tony for the info. Please keep us updated on the project.

Please take into consideration that with the "native" method, the car needs to be available to you for the installation. Or you will have installation partners outside of California?

jadnashuanh

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Adding a whole new charging path IN the car, is not an adapter in my mind. And, at $2k, not worth it, to me anyways. I can just see BMW voiding a warranty if some issue arose because of it.

Legislation in most of Europe is prompting the addition of a CCS capability to any new DC fast charging station, and is likely to be retrofitted to many CHADEMO units already installed. The power supply is the big expense...the logic and a cable is the next, but neither is anywhere near the cost of the high current DC power supply.

I do not see CCS home units becoming a mainstream item, and the incentive to install either type commercially is still not great around where I live, north of Boston, there are none that would be worthwhile attempting to reach. If you're in an area where they are plentiful, I suppose, but I think many people would find it an expensive addition that is not all that useful, and would never have a good payback.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

jasleinstein

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:40 am

this discussion about whether or not an adapter could be made is interesting. The simple fact is we were told by Seattle BMW when we bought our i3 last summer, chargers would be installed soon. We paid for the charging modules and bought the car with the expectation chargers would be installed "soon". It is clear there is no plan for dc chargers for i3 to be installed in Wa state, anywhere, by anyone.

i3atl

Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:24 pm

jasleinstein wrote:It is clear there is no plan for dc chargers for i3 to be installed in Wa state, anywhere, by anyone.

That is not correct - Kia will be installing several dual-standard DCFCs at some of their dealer locations. The specific ones are listed in the press release.

http://insideevs.com/kia-charges-up-for ... on-oregon/

Blue20

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:54 pm

i3atl wrote:
jasleinstein wrote:It is clear there is no plan for dc chargers for i3 to be installed in Wa state, anywhere, by anyone.

That is not correct - Kia will be installing several dual-standard DCFCs at some of their dealer locations. The specific ones are listed in the press release.

http://insideevs.com/kia-charges-up-for ... on-oregon/

Where did you pick up they have dual DCFC?

They only mentioned they have dual CHAdeMO and J1772.

It is interesting that even Kia has a much biggest DCFC roll out plan than BMW. Is CCS that much more expansive than CHAdeMO to install?

i3atl

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Blue20 wrote:Where did you pick up they have dual DCFC?

They only mentioned they have dual CHAdeMO and J1772.

It is interesting that even Kia has a much biggest DCFC roll out plan than BMW. Is CCS that much more expansive than CHAdeMO to install?

The model number is specified in the press release: FC50K-CC-S.

In addition, they've already gone with dual-standard units at their CA and Atlanta area dealers.

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”