Backup Camera Alternative

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaulfinger

I parallel park a few times a year. The $1,000 parking package is like paying $50 for someone to parallel park the car for me. I'm just not going to even have occasion to use it enough to warrant that price. However, I do like the backup camera I have with my Volt today and use that daily. So I'd like the camera only.

Has anyone explored adding a backup camera to an otherwise base system so that it plays through the center display?

You could probably buy the parts, but I expect them to be expensive, then getting someone to install them and program the vehicle to expect them and display properly may not be feasible as it would take a software tweak, I think, to make it all work. The US dealers may not be able to do that.

What may work out easier, might be to change the rear-view mirror. Those can be purchased with the remote buttons, etc. that also include a display device.

While I did not want the extra bits in that package, I have a medical condition that makes it tough to twist, so the extra visibility with the factory setup was worth it to me.

Thanks. Twisting my back to look without a camera is what I'm trying to avoid. Actually, it's why I'm considering the i3 over a Volt. The higher doors and more upright position take pressure off a bad back... The Volt is great, but hard to climb in and out of due to being so low.

Sounds like I just need to accept the cost of the factory option. When it gets into programming, the labor goes up fast and I might as well have the little-used other features.

Assuming that the i3 has a standard camera input on the head unit, any competent car audio shop should be able to attach a backup camera and have it display when you put the car in reverse.

With that said, I have no idea if the i3 has a standard camera on the head unit.

Yes, a video port on the back is the key, but not easily uncovered unless you have a car and happen to take the dashboard apart.

Are there any service manuals available yet? Perhaps such a document could reveal what we need to know a little less invasively.

You may find something in these docs posted elsewhere on the site - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787263

For what its worth, the i3 backup camera is outstanding. Well worth the cost, in my view.
I drive a few cars a year and it's the best I've seen (better than anything Lexus, Porsche, or Audi have done).

I wanted just the camera too. Not bothered about parking sensors as they are always too pessimiatic. My current car has just the camera and id never want one without it. A front facing one would be good too. I use my phone as a black box recorder. But would also like to see where the nose if the car is.

Still my O/H is just learning to drive so decided sod it... stuck all the driver aids in. Hoping it makes a difference to insurance as it will be a lot harder to crash and/or run someone over.

Being as it has steering and brake assistance in thinking can bmw update the phone app so I can drive from the passenger seat. James bond style ;)

Surge,

That is a great link. Thanks! If I read the specs right, the camera uses one of several K-CAN bus architectures, so digital feeds at 500Kbps. This is not the analog composite of most backup cameras - and may explain why people are so please with picture quality. If this is correct, then this conclusion also means it is not something to be easily "plugged in".

I am leasing one without the parking package but would love to have the backup camera. The dealer said he has someone who can install it for $900, which is almost the price for the package. I decided to try the car without it before I go spending the additional money

There are aftermarket systems that can replace your rear-view mirror with a dual-function mirror/video screen, but they will not also include the sensors, or tie it into the vehicle central computers. Routing the wire could be a pain. I have seen at least one that used an rf transmitter to get the video up front so you could avoid running the video cable. Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet to get what you want.

Back