The Handbrake should activate automatically

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

So much of the car is automatic and anticipation dictates that you try not to stop, that it's easy to forget to apply the handbrake.

Not a problem normally, but not so good if somebody were to run into the back of you without the handbrake on ?

There are conditions when the vehicle will 'hold' it's position (I do not know if it actually engages the brakes). But, my other car has a dedicated switch that automatically locks the physical brakes when you come to a full stop, and releases them when you touch the accelerator pedal. It will not release the parking brake unless you manually move the switch, unlike the i3, where it acts more like the autohold function on my other car. As a result, the vehicle can roll, depending on the conditions. It's going to take some time with the learning curve, but I agree, it would be nicer if it operated like their other cars.

asterix2112 said:
Huh? Am I missing something or don't you just keep your foot on the brake when stopped?
My 'other' BMW has a button called auto hold. When you turn it on, anytime you come to a full stop, it literally locks all of the brakes...unless there's a malfunction, it will not move. You do not need to touch the brake pedal once it engages. It automatically releases once you press the accelerator pedal. The issue is, the i3 does not operate in the same manner. Learning when it will 'hold' position takes some time. It would be nice if it operated the same way. On my 'other' car, if you engage the parking brake, you cannot move the vehicle until you release it. On the i3, IF your seat belt is installed, while in drive, if you turn the parking brake on, it will release it when you press the accelerator pedal. It also engages 'hill hold' under some circumstances. An electric doesn't have the drag from an automatic transmission, so you do not need the brake unless there's a slope, then it can roll unless either the car keeps you in place, or you apply the brakes...it's just that when it does that is a little different. ANd, may change with software changes. I just received mine back from a s/w update today, so have not played with it enough to figure out if anything in that area changed.

Back