Aluminium pedals

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryand

I prefer to drive with hard-soled shoes to get more precise control of the accelerator pedal, and this is even more important on a car with regenerative braking like the i3. I am surprised that BMW don't fit, or offer as an accessory, metal-faced pedals. You could even have an accelerator pedal milled from solid billet aluminium and anodised in the body colour, as a dealer-fit option.

The metal pedals would require some texture, otherwise, they'd be unsafe, especially if your soles were wet. I see this as a safety hazard, and a texture on the pedal good enough to overcome that lack of friction, might just end up being abrasive to your shoes, too.

jadnashuanh said:
The metal pedals would require some texture, otherwise, they'd be unsafe, especially if your soles were wet. I see this as a safety hazard, and a texture on the pedal good enough to overcome that lack of friction, might just end up being abrasive to your shoes, too.
In 10 years or so of driving drive-by-wire turbo-diesels, I've found I get measurable improvements in fuel economy by having very precise control over the accellerator pedal, and hard soles on a metal surface is the best way to get this. Have a textured pedal by all means, but you need to be able to slide the pedal under the sole of your shoe by tiny amounts. Keep the rubber for the brake pedal.

Back