Holding on a hill.... brake or accelerator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marki3

Hi,

Just wondering. Often stop on an uphill without using the brake. Is it OK to hold position with the accelerator even though you are stationary or should you use the brake? Is there an issue with giving power to the motor without it spinning?

I know the car has a hill hold function so that if you come off the brake on an uphill the car won't roll backward. That feels a bit to me like it is using the brake as I think I can feel the brake release as I move off. Might be my imagination!

1800 trouble free miles and loving the car.

mrsmith said:
Pretty sure hill hold uses motor, when it kicks in you can see the power-use bar go up.

If that is the case then it would imply that there is no downside to using the motor to balance the car on an uphill using the accelerator, unlike slipping the clutch in ICE car.

The downside is power consumption...use the brake or the parking brake. WIth the cooling circuit, and relatively small load, extended use in that manner probably wouldn't cause enough heat to be an issue with reliability, but save a few watts!

Back