Is that rain or buckshot hitting the roof of my i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

Seriously, am I the only one to notice that when it's raining really hard the sound on my roof sounds more like lead pellets than water?

I mean the first time I heard it I though that maybe the car was missing an insulation layer. Rain has never sounded this loud to me in any of my previous BMWs. I typically marvel at how quiet the car is otherwise!

BMW4Me said:
Seriously, am I the only one to notice that when it's raining really hard the sound on my roof sounds more like lead pellets than water?

I mean the first time I heard it I though that maybe the car was missing an insulation layer. Rain has never sounded this loud to me in any of my previous BMWs. I typically marvel at how quiet the car is otherwise!

You've never had a BMW with a CFRP roof yet either! ;)

This has come up on the Facebook group as well. It makes me realize that most people buying the i3 have already been driving premium/luxury cars where things like a quiet roof in the rain are the norm. All my previous cars were far from premium/luxury and so the sound of rain on the i3 roof doesn't seem any louder than normal to me. Perspective.

Back