wear and tear?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recipe0

Hey,

So this isn't i3 specific, but this is my first lease, and I am wondering whether people consider paying the extra for "wear and tear" coverage to be a good investment?

I have read a bunch of people talk about getting flats, and how the tire replacement makes the coverage pay for itself. But I live in SoCal, where the weather doesn't take a huge toll on the roads. Not a lot of potholes.

I do have a 3 year old. He is bound to spill, I guess, but leather seats are supposed to be easy to clean, right?

Anyway, any pertinent advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Likely not worth it, but the real answer depends... how much are they asking for the coverage? Odds are they are asking far more than it's worth.

It came out to $45/month. So, over a 30 month lease, $1350. The guy pointed out that it includes tire coverage, which means I don't have to replace them before I turn it in. But, I can find i3 tires listed at $150/apiece now (probably cheaper in 30 months), so that leaves $750.

Typically the tire coverage only covers damage, not normal use. So you'll have to pay for new tires unless you "accidentally" run over a bed of nails near the end of your tire life. I'd make sure I understood exactly what is and isn't covered.

the fist option may never happen depending on your luck, the second would never happen. in my car nobody children, grandchildren, or myself eats or drinks in there.

Seems a bit expensive to me. Your lease company will accept a certain level of wear and tear from general usage, and can provide guidance on what is and is not acceptable (size of/number of scratches etc.)

$1350 seems a lot of money to cover this risk, but as with any insurance you need to weigh up the cost of the insurance with the potential/likely cost of any repairs. I have lots of insurance and personally would not go for this (similarly I never buy the CDW of extra insurance offered by rental companies) but it comes does to personal choice and your risk/reward calculation.

Thanks, guys. I forewent the coverage. This keeps my total monthly payment down to $339 for an almost fully loaded Tera (no heated seats, 19" wheels, otherwise loaded) BEV with $3225 down. I am telling all my friends to go get themselves one of these. The 2014s are such a steal, right now. :D

Back