Acceleration times?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfontaine07

Has anyone compared the 0 to 30, 0 to 60 and 0 to 100 times of the '15 Rex against other cars in the lineup?

Esp interested against 328, 228, x3, X11 and m235i.

Thx!

I measured 0-60 mph on both my BEV & REX last summer and posted the data in an Excel file in the i3 FB page - you can find it there if you search for "BEVnREX 0-60.xlsx". I'd post it here but don't see a way to attach files. Based on my measurements I think that the i3 is NOT the fastest BMW (DUH), and will not outrun any ICE car that has 0-60 mph in less than ~4.8 sec (if launched correctly) - this is not even 0-20, 30, 40... That said, in urban environment at the traffic lights there are very few cars that can keep up with the i3, based on my measurements and personal experience :D

Yes. Traffic light measurements have been my data source so far too! That's why I'm curious in the real numbers... :)

rtanov said:
Based on my measurements I think that the i3 is NOT the fastest BMW (DUH), and will not outrun any ICE car that has 0-60 mph in less than ~4.8 sec

Given that the i3 has never been measured doing 0-60 @ ~4.8 seconds, that's a pretty futile argument. Even BMW agrees that the i3 does 0-60 mph at around 7 seconds.

Given the i3's mass and electric motor torque, it will compare well to almost any car at suburban speed limits. Of course you can take it on the highway, but that is not it's primary design focus.

I33t said:
rtanov said:
Based on my measurements I think that the i3 is NOT the fastest BMW (DUH), and will not outrun any ICE car that has 0-60 mph in less than ~4.8 sec

Given that the i3 has never been measured doing 0-60 @ ~4.8 seconds, that's a pretty futile argument. Even BMW agrees that the i3 does 0-60 mph at around 7 seconds.

The acceleration curve of the i3 is different than most ICE cars, which allows it to initially lead cars with significantly lower 0-60 times. I've clocked my BEV at 6.6 s 0-60 mph but comparing the distance curves against real data from a car that is almost 1 s quicker to 60 shows that the i3 is ahead for the first 4 seconds after which the ICE car would catch up. If an ICE car has 0-60 at 4.8 or faster the i3 will not be ahead at any time of the race - this is what I meant.

Back