i3 and driving through low/high water street flooding

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmugmon

I am considering buying an '16 or '17 i3 in the coming months. I live in Central Florida and every summer we get torrential rains in the afternoon. The streets in between home and work have a tendency to flood. Its not terrible but standing water between 3 and 5 inches is the norm in areas. I am wondering if anyone has had experience or issues with driving through water. It concerns me that he battery is so low in the car. Is the area sealed?

Thanks for the advice. - j

I had to drive thru 6" for a long way and some 12" spots when I got caught out in one of Houston's flash floods. Car did fine. However, my fog lights flooded and never dried out until they were disassembled--required removal of the front fascia.

The battery is definitely sealed, so are the all high voltage interconnections. Slow driving through 3-5" of water should present no problems. One thing I'm not sure about is the location of the air intake for the REX.

ted99 said:
I had to drive thru 6" for a long way and some 12" spots when I got caught out in one of Houston's flash floods. Car did fine. However, my fog lights flooded and never dried out until they were disassembled--required removal of the front fascia.

FYI they're actually highbeams

I think I remember reading something about the maximum safe level of water fording in the user's manual. You definitely do not want to go charging through any water more than a thin coating, and should apply the actual brakes (not regen) after to help dry out the disks in case you do need them!

From the manual

Do not exceed the maximum water level and maximum speed; otherwise, the vehicle's engine, the electrical systems and the trans‐ mission may be damaged.

Drive though calm water only and only if it is not deeper than 9.8 inches/25 cm and at this height, no faster than walking speed, up to
3 mph/5 km/h.

So, it can handle quite deep water but you must drive slowly. With this in mind, you will also want people around you to drive slowly too so as to not create a bow wave!

Back