i3 2017 Different packages

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moserg

Hello everyone.
Just looking to buy i3. And of course what I really need to add and what I won't use vs. saving some bucks. But the description of available packages not so clear.
I decided to better ask owners - closest dealership is 250km away... And when I call them - all salespersons were on i3 training :D
1. Is any Bluetooth connectivity (just to make/receive phone call) in basic model or I need to buy Technology package for that?
2. Mobile app came in basic or I need Premium package... How it connected - Wi-Fi ? Or you need to be close to car or BMW has own 3G network or you need to buy some kind of subscription?
3. What difference standard navigation vs. BMW on board from Premium package?

Thanks in advance.

Bluetooth, mobile app connectivity, and typical factory nav type system are all standard in every US delivered i3. The tech package adds a larger nav screen which allows split screen functionality, energy management integration with nav, adaptive cruise (tracks car in front up to the set speed and includes emergency braking collision avoidance), trackpad iDrive controller top (allows inputing letters with finger swipes), and perhaps a few other features I'm not recalling. I would love to have the larger nav screen and the collision avoidance, but the rest I personally consider fluff for a city car, but useful for a touring car. Others will disagree, for sure! I have most of these features in my other car (Lexus), and love them on the road, but never use any in town, so I passed on them when I ordered my i3.

With all that said, since you specified distance in km, none of the above may be applicable to i3s delivered in your neck of the woods. Most probably will apply if you are in Canada. You might want to add a bit more info in your profile!

Yes, I'm in Canada.
It is for my wife city only drive car and for long distance I have VW Passat TDI ;)
I just was worry about receiving cell call. Thanks for clarification. I think I'll pass all those packages.

Packages and standard equipment can vary significantly from country to country, so you need to understand what is 'normal' on a car made for Canada verses the USA or the UK, or elsewhere. It is very easy to be mislead. Usually, your country's BMW website is the best source, and a discussion with the local dealer.

It's fairly easy to help you understand a feature, but it may be a mute point if it's not in your car or maybe even available in your market!

I clearly understand the features I was asking. On ca website it says that with Technology package you'll get Bluetooth Wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones. btw, it has even changed recently because before it said "smartphone". This was misleading me. And for now I can clearly see that app communication included in basic. Looks like they have updated website very recently. And it says now- Convenience Telephony with Smartphone Connectivity. and internet with no roaming fee USA-Canada. Is that internet for life?

We received a message from BMW recently:

"Dear BMW ConnectedDrive Customer,

The following BMW ConnectedDrive Services in your BMW with the Vehicle Identification Number **** will expire on 2016-09-30:

Internet "

I found this message strange so made a query, and the answer was:

"A decision worldwide was made by BMW Head Office in Munich to discontinue the internet function (option code 6AR) due to limited functionality this feature offers. Only the Internet browsing function within your vehicle will no longer work once this subscription expires."

So sounds like internet browsing is being cancelled on the i3 worldwide.

Looks like "big" guys are using small printing in the contract - "We can do whatever we want and without any responsibility ". Sounds very familiar.
But very interesting how they will distinguish internet browsing from internet connection for service - I think dealer will update software.

So wait, you can't even use your smartphone's data to get internet on the car's screen?
That's ridiculous! A huge step backwards. Especially for a car as "high tech" as the i3!

Back