iKaruna

Solar panel on the roof

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:25 pm

I just picked up my i3 this morning, so I'll be checking out this site regularly for the latest i3 comments. Since this is a recommendations for BMW thread (my first posting), I'll limit it to that. I think BMW should put a solar panel on the roof, sorta like the Fiskar. It could power the accessories and possibly charge the battery.

I33t

Re: Solar panel on the roof

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Previous threads on the solar panel idea:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1844

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1756

Basically, nice idea but it won't charge the traction battery (~400v+). Running a fan would be possible and keeping the 12v battery topped up, but not much use in a garage or under shelter.

Better to put solar panels on your house and charge from there.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.

jadnashuanh

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:48 pm

There's a thread on this already. Consensus, it's not likely worth the added expense or complexity. NOt enough area to do much for the high voltage batteries, and making 400vdc to charge them from some low level PV panel would probably take as much power to convert than actually increase their SOC. It could be used to maybe provide ventilation when hot, but not a big deal.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

BoMW
Forum Supporter

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:00 pm

There is a thread about this already, search "solar panel" or any other other topic that interests you.
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

janie66

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 pm

iKaruna wrote:I just picked up my i3 this morning, so I'll be checking out this site regularly for the latest i3 comments. Since this is a recommendations for BMW thread (my first posting), I'll limit it to that. I think BMW should put a solar panel solar energy on the roof, sorta like the Fiskar. It could power the accessories and possibly charge the battery.

That's a great idea, by putting solar panels on the roof can increase the efficiency and usefulness.
But will it also effect on the performance like on mileage, pickup or power of the BMW.

residentialsolar

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 am

jadnashuanh wrote:There's a thread on this already. Consensus, it's not likely worth the added expense or complexity. NOt enough area to do much for the high voltage batteries, and making 400vdc to charge them from some low level solar PV panel would probably take as much power to convert than actually increase their SOC. It could be used to maybe provide ventilation when hot, but not a big deal.

Thanks for sharing this content and i want to ask one thing i.e. Can we use on grid solar panels in place of batteries?

jadnashuanh

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 pm

There's at least a couple of ways to use solar panels...augment the power from the grid when the sun is shining, or, if self-contained, be able to store enough energy for your peak and average power needs when the sun is not shining or you need more than you can make at the instant. That usually means batteries to store it. At Niagara Falls between NY state and Ontario, Canada, they use some excess power, when available, to pump water to a reservoir so that they can keep water flowing over the falls for the tourists during the day. IN reality, they can almost stop the flow over the falls when they direct it to the turbines and to the reservoir. There are some major tunnels upstream of the falls that direct water to the turbines below the falls.

The area on the top of the i3 isn't all that much. Modern panels need about 10sqin to produce one watt. The i3 seems to use around 250W/mile. At 60mph, that's one minute. That means 250*60 minutes for an hour, or 15,000W. So, to power the car, at 10sqin per watt, that's an area of 150,000 sqin, or over 1,000sqft...how much do you think you have on the roof?
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 am

Ignore advert11's post in which this spammer quoted iKaruna but added 4 words and a link to a Website that has nothing to do with an i3. Modifying another's post in this way when quoting it is unacceptable Internet etiquette, especially when the modification adds spam. I have reported this post, but the forum administrator has been slow to delete it.
Aloha,
Art

Honolulu, HI, US: 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE
Uppsala, SE: CONDITIONALLY SOLD: 2000 Honda Insight hybrid

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”