benjanos

Re: BMW i3 Test Drive: My Thoughts

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Great to see you were able to buy an i3 4 years after your original post! Thats cool. I also waited some years until second hand prices dropped and could not be happier with my car. Just waiting now (fingers crossed) that BMW release the 43kWh battery later this year and it can be retro fitted, that would make the car perfect.

Regards
Benjanos
2014 BEV

Srivenkat

Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 am

[Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so posting here.]

viking79 wrote:I drove mine from Los Angeles to Cedar Rapids, Iowa (2000 miles) through AZ and NM, lower passes than CO or WY. I wouldn't encourage it, but definitely possible. Worst case was 30 mph going up mountain pass. Coding would be advisable to avoid that issue.

5 gallon spare fuel tank is mandatory (2 gallons would be barely adequate). 35 gas stops (counting 3 or so fill ups from my spare tank). A well sealed container and I had zero smell from it, make sure it is secured and can't tip.

Mine wasn't coded or anything. Also, dont do in summer or winter (climate usage, hardly had any AC on hills in AZ nor heat in mornings) and check wind directions and strengths. The car can reliably hold 60-70 mph on relatively flat ground, but strong headwinds could cause issue.

Wrote about it on my blog:
https://carswithplugs.wordpress.com

That's fascinating. Your experience makes me think about doing it from the coast to Illinois. I will also get to see the country side. A few questions:

1. How have the 20" tires held up? I heard the 20" tires are more prone to picking up road debris and getting punctured. I see you didn't mind taking the car onto gravel and such. Did you also test drive one with 19" wheels?

2. Did you have temp plates put on and if not would that be legal cross-country and did you get stopped on the way?

3. Since GPS would typically show interstate highways, what's the best way to plan driving on back country roads like you seem to have done?

viking79

Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am

1. 20" are fine so far on 3000 miles, unsure long term. Gravel was limited to side of road. :) only warning is 20" are summer only. Mistake I made, I will have to buy winter tires and 19" wheels before fall.

2. Iowa allows driving 30 days on paperwork, not sure if it is entirely legal, but think it is fine. CA gave me a 1 trip permit. I wasn't ever stopped.

3. I drove interstate most of the way back for convenience, not a lot of side roads in this area. I stick to backroads locally when running gas, since limits in Iowa are 55 mph on back roads. Meaning I have no issue flowing with traffic at 60.

GPS in my model (upgraded Nav) has route options, if you select ECO PRO routing it will pick back roads, watch it though, sometimes it picks much longer time routes, especially in urban areas. Like driving on surface streets in traffic. Maybe use Phone to check. On Google Maps you can get ideas for better routes saying you are a bicycle (watch that they are roads and not bike trails though, I do it to get alternate road ideas).

Eric

Srivenkat

Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks. Google maps shows a route via Las Vegas, Utah, Colorado and Iowa as well. Is this more mountainous than the one you took thru Arizona, NM, TX, OK, etc.? Also, if you are open to disclosing, I am wondering how much you paid for the i3. I am looking at i3's on the west coast. You can PM me, if you prefer. Thanks.

viking79

Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 am

Yes, passes on CO route are at 10,000 ft and only 7,500 or so through AZ and NM.

I paid $22,600 for 2015 with Tera World, 20" wheels, and Tech/Drivers Assistant package. Wanted larger center screen and adaptive cruise. 5,600 miles. DC charge was standard in 2015. I paid dealers asking price as it was fair.

One gotcha, in CA if you have car shipped dealer does not collect tax, if you drive the dealer will collect tax and you have to get it back when you register in your state.

Ideally, I would have taken 1 week to drive back, visiting grand canyon, and other landmarks. Going back roads, like route 66. Also, route through CO has rapid chargers, nothin through AZ and NM except in major cities.

jadnashuanh

Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

The nav system gives you (I think) three options: fastest, shortest, and Eco Pro. The last takes into account the combination of elevation changes and distance and might include speed limits. There are some differences between the business and the professional nav systems.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”