meublen

Tips on finding/buying an i3

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I've been bitten by the i3 bug, and I'm ready to buy. But, I'm not in a rush, and want to find the specific one:

Either a '14 or '15, Orange, REx, tech package, parking assist and HK audio. I'd prefer the Giga, but would go for a Mega if it were a great deal (No Tera, as my pup wouldn't be good for the leather). Similarly, if I found a great deal, I might lose the HK audio.

I've been looking on the typical sites, as well as doing some individual craigslist city searches, but I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks I should know about:

Are there times when BMW drops a bunch of off-lease vehicles on the market?
Any brokers specializing in used i3s?
Places to look other than the typical?
Anything I should stay away from when I'm looking?

Thanks!

benjanos

Re: Tips on finding/buying an i3

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 am

Hi Meublen

Bought mine second hand last year, not sure I can help much but I noticed you mentioned the HK option. I think this is a must have option. Where I live HK was somewhat rare on the early cars so finding a second hand one with with everything I wanted AND the HK Audio took time, but glad I waited. Hard to explain but this car needs a good stereo IMO.

BTW: My pup loves the i3, but she rides over the very back.
2014 BEV

meublen

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks, benjanos. I was thinking it wasn't a big deal, but I test drove one with HK in it for a couple of hours, and it was really nice.

As for Hank (the border collie), I might at least put him in the back seat - the i3 has me want to take the twisties too fast to have him in the passenger seat (plus, at 32 lbs, he seems to be right at the edge of tripping the seatbelt beeper). Not sure he'd like the way-back, though. It's too far away from me :D

saronian

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:25 pm

If Carvana.com services your area they have good selection of i3's that changes almost daily. The prices seem reasonable and it looks like 2015 models are coming off-lease now.

benjanos

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 am

Border Collie huh? What a beautiful dog! My monster is an Appenzeller which is the same size and (I am guessing) is the same personality.

Guess Hank wants to help drive the car or at least check you are doing it correct :?
2014 BEV

meublen

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Yes, he definitely keeps an eye on me.

Well, I put a deposit on a 2015 Orange i3 today. Has everything I want (tech package, parking assist, HK Audio). The only thing I didn't get is the Giga World (I like the wood dash). And it's got 20" wheels, which means I'll have to get a set of 19" wheels when I need snow tires. Not the end of the world, since I'd have done that eventually anyway. It's got 20,000 miles, and it's CPO, so it'll have the unlimited miles warranty until 2/2021.

Got 'em down to $20K even, plus tax and shipping (Macon, GA --> Boulder,CO), which is ~2,200 below bluebook, at the bottom of their "fair market value". I've seen some for a bit less (though few that check all the boxes) but without the warranty.

Tomorrow we'll work on the shipping details, and see when I get it! I'm excited!

benjanos

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Great work Mr Meublen! I really think the i3 is an excellent second hand buy, sounds like you got a good deal and a nice unit. The Orange is also super cool, those cars are going to be special going forward! Hey make another post after you have had it a few weeks, would be great to hear your thoughts, likes and dislikes.

Cheers
2014 BEV

meublen

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks, benjanos. I'm excited.

The sales guys told me that they're losing money on it - he might be blowin' smoke of course, but it was a fairly elaborate story - he said their lot manager was on vacation for several days and ok'd my price (they came down a few times and I held firm) because he thought it was a car that had been on the lot for 45 days and they needed to move it. It had only been on the lot for 9 days. Apparently the GM was not very pleased. Of course, it's not my problem that they screwed up.

It's being loaded onto the truck right now, I get it on Thursday! I'm excited!

-Mark

kkreezy

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:41 am

Exciting stuff. I'm right on the brink now negotiating with some different dealers and looking into getting it shipped here to Detroit. Very few i3 drivers out here! Can't wait.

Is 45 days typically the point with which they look to move it fast?

Thanks!
Kevin

sipabit

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 pm

meublen wrote:Yes, he definitely keeps an eye on me.

Well, I put a deposit on a 2015 Orange i3 today. Has everything I want (tech package, parking assist, HK Audio). The only thing I didn't get is the Giga World (I like the wood dash). And it's got 20" wheels, which means I'll have to get a set of 19" wheels when I need snow tires. Not the end of the world, since I'd have done that eventually anyway. It's got 20,000 miles, and it's CPO, so it'll have the unlimited miles warranty until 2/2021.

Got 'em down to $20K even, plus tax and shipping (Macon, GA --> Boulder,CO), which is ~2,200 below bluebook, at the bottom of their "fair market value". I've seen some for a bit less (though few that check all the boxes) but without the warranty.

Tomorrow we'll work on the shipping details, and see when I get it! I'm excited!

I know the pricing well and you got the deal I'd be looking for. 2015 is the way to go for best value. You do want a 20k mile one for $20k with 2 of the 3 packages or $21k for all three packages. You did even better. I assume yours is a REX. If not, it's still a decent deal. Glad you went with the CPO car as the inventory is so high that the supply creates a price that's competitive with the private sales. Plus you get all the perks of a CPO car like you've already mentioned. Good job with the car buying. You got a good deal. I wouldn't think too much about the bluebook. The deal wasn't amazing, but it's what you should be looking for and you got it.
A fanatic of all things electric. Ridables like electric ice chests and stand up scooters I adore. Drones like DJI, I root for. I'm a fan of both, but nothing beats my love for my 2016 i3 Rex with Deka World. Shhh, don't tell my wife.

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”