i3Houston

Re: New 2015 Rex CPO Owner with a sad story - still developing.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:05 pm

I am so glad that there is positive movement.

Like I said before, people have been scammed more than once. No learning is enough. Just pack extra patience and be prepared to spend $!

Car buying is just exhausting.

Ps. Leave them a review on fb, Google, cars. Com, if you have time. It may give your case some more traction.
TM3 Reservation holder/ 2015 i3 Rex

armozo

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am

Updated:

BMW of America called and told me that what the dealer is offering is sufficient.
To recap they are saying that they will no react to the fact that the dealer did not disclose at the time of the sale the damage on the steering wheel, rims or driver seat.

I told them that their decision is very much telling t of the BMW of America values, and that I would into consideration all this going forward.

I am utterly disappointed that they did not try to make a good will decision and make my car right. Maybe I was expecting too much for my loyalty to this brand.

MKH

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:00 am

From BMW's point of view, the Dealer said they will repair the deficiencies, which is what they are supposed to do to prep a car to be sold as CPO.

Will that Dealer do a good job is another question. I'd ask they replace the steering wheel - an easy job, as the leather rim comes off as one piece, without disturbing the center airbag stuff - cost is about $470. (and the Dealer gets the parts for maybe half that.)
https://parts.bmwofstratham.com/a/BMW__ ... 63.html#04

Same with the seat bottom cushion - the "cover" is available as a part, and easily replaced.
https://parts.bmwofstratham.com/p/BMW_2 ... 65694.html

I would not accept an upholster guy mixing a little plastic filler, smearing it on the seat, "embossing it" to match, then trying to spray-match a little dye over it. Never lasts, and will look like shite in a few months.

Rims can be repaired, done all the time, but should be done by a rim shop with the proper equipment.

I'd tell them to repair it properly, or be prepared to go to court. If they don't, file a small-claims suit, for what it will cost you to make it right.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

armozo

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi MKH, what you suggest is exactly what I requested to BMW of America and the dealer. They refuse to replace the items.
I am fine with the rim repair.
At this junction, I am not sure how to compel them to replace these parts with new ones. It is a cheap fix.

Any ideas?

MKH

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Seems like you will not get anywhere with BMW America - they apparently are passing the buck back to the Dealer.

If it were me, I'd ask them, instead of them doing the upholstery repairs, that they give you the replacement steering wheel and seat cover parts, for you to take care of yourself, and see if they will bite - which takes their labor costs out of the equation. If not, you could ask for the parts at their cost from them, or maybe BMW America. Failing that, your only choice would be to eat the costs yourself, and/or file a claim for the repairs in small-claims court.

You also may be able to find both the steering wheel and the seat cover at a salvage yard at good prices, with some searching.

... and I'd find an independent BMW service garage with good reviews in your area to work with for these, or other repairs.

I had to do that in Dallas, as both BMW Dealers near me have horrible service dept reputations,
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 20 inch wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

PBNB

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 pm

armozo wrote:Hi MKH, what you suggest is exactly what I requested to BMW of America and the dealer. They refuse to replace the items.
I am fine with the rim repair.
At this junction, I am not sure how to compel them to replace these parts with new ones. It is a cheap fix.

Any ideas?

You could get some low cost used rims. There is a set of 429's 19" with snows on Craigslist just across the border that they are asking $1,500 CDN. Sounds like a good opportunity for a road trip :).

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/wt ... 14001.html
2015 i3 REX

armozo

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi all, I decided to email the executives and tell them all that transpired. If this does not take care of it I think I will eat the cost of the parts.
I am more than capable to do the repair myself. I have done it before in other cars.

I guess I'd be paying $850 to get out of my life people that choose to make dishonorable choices. That is worthwhile paying I'd say!!!
I will start to hunt for parts from a salvage yard or eBay. If you guys see anything posted anywhere please let me know.

Thank you all.

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”