crossie

Need a little extra range?

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:20 am

Ronan, one of my fellow i3 owners here in Dublin had some issues reaching his place in the country with the drop in range over the winter.
There are now CCS rapid chargers on his route but unfortunately he didn't spec the DC Fast Charge Prep.

So he hatched a plan to use his EVSE with a pair of marine batteries and inverters to add an extra 10-15km to his range.

Loss from the marine batteries to the i3's battery is in the region of 40-50%... but if you need just a few extra km it's an option.

http://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2015/02/03/bmw-i3-bev-supplementary-battery-system/

Powerfool

Re: Need a little extra range?

Thu May 10, 2018 7:00 pm

This has to be plugged in and charging while not driving...

Any options for a battery that connects to the cigarette lighter adapter and adds just a little more juice? This could be used while driving and make sure that it only discharges, unless the car is charging.
2015 BMW i3 REx Ionic Silver, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, Harmon/Kardon Premium Sound, Sport 20" Alloy Wheels

jadnashuanh

Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm

There's a service warning to NOT try to charge the 12vdc battery unless you disconnect the HV battery from it, so no, nothing you could add to the socket would do anything. Plus, the wiring is quite small and the fuse, thus the amount of current you could provide wouldn't really do much of anything except damage the car.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

alohart

Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Powerfool wrote:Any options for a battery that connects to the cigarette lighter adapter and adds just a little more juice? This could be used while driving and make sure that it only discharges, unless the car is charging.

The DC-DC charger that chargers the 12 V battery with power from the Li-ion battery pack is a one-way device, so charging the 12 V battery would not charge the Li-ion battery pack. I suppose charging the 12 V battery via the auxiliary power port could reduce the power taken from the Li-ion battery pack to charge the 12 V battery, but the effect would be unnoticeable.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Powerfool

Sun May 13, 2018 7:59 am

I saw a video on YouTube a while back where a guy replaced his 12v battery with a LiO pack plus capacitor. I don't know if it was an EV, hybrid, or ICE, but it was significantly lighter. I guess you could always get one of the those solar trickle chargers, too, for that. Between those two... maybe you save your self a mile a year, I dunno. Thoughts?
2015 BMW i3 REx Ionic Silver, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, Harmon/Kardon Premium Sound, Sport 20" Alloy Wheels

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”