2015 I3 Fast charge issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vochara

At a local store i can "fast charge" at 8kwh and wall charging at home, but with the faster chargers at other stores/places say the 150kwh ccs chargers it won't actually charge. The screen on the machine shows it connects ok with no errors the lights around the plug on the car illuminate white showing its connected but never goes blue. I hop in the car and it shows it plugged in on the screen but doesn't actually charge idk what's wrong.

When you plug into DC Fast Charger (CCS) if the light stays white, it has not completed the "handshake" with the 2 devices. Usually this means the little locking pin at the top of the port has not engaged and for many people, simply lifting up a bit on the handle while plugging in solves this problem. If it does not solve the problem, look at the top of the port to see if the locking pin is even coming out to lock the DC Fast Charger handle to car. These can fail. When they do, you can't use a DC Fast Charger until it is fixed (usually means replacing the little module).

You can also check to see if the locking pin is working by using your wall charger at home. Plug the handle in, then LOCK the car with the FOB while watching at the top of the charging port to see if the little locking pin comes out. The locking pin is not used when charging from L1 or L2 charging except to lock the handle to the port when you lock the car.

Back