2020 i3s - how to check remaining warranty?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBmwi3s

Watching a i3s for sale BEV and non-bmw dealer said 12 volt battery was fine and car has 4-50,000 warranty when I said would like new 12 volt as part of the purchase.

if let’s say there is time left, do BMW dealers in US do final warranty inspection for free, as they would make money I would think on any repair they find?

Read here a 2020 owner had a battery drain from a headlight module and when I looked up the part it was $500 not including labor - lucky he still had warranty. Was wondering if dealers final warranty inspection would have found items like this?

The BMW dealer where we purchased our former 2014 i3 new does not offer a final warranty inspection. However, this dealer does offer free annual state inspections during which BMW's courtesy inspection is performed at no cost. This inspection might discover potential problems, but it seems pretty superficial. I question its thoroughness because it listed incorrect tire inflation pressures and tread depths for our 2019 i3. The engine oil, exhaust system, and accessory drive belts were supposedly inspected on our BEV which has none. I know that BMW's diagnostic system was plugged into our i3 so that if any significant diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) existed, they would have been discovered. With today's computers on wheels, DTC's are probably the best way to discover problems that aren't apparent.

Electronic modules that aren't working correctly aren't repaired but are merely replaced, frequently at a high cost. Fortunately, i3 BEV's have been very reliable vehicles. We've owned 2 i3's for over 9 years, neither of which has suffered a problem that required a repair.

Can anyone give an indication how much it costs to extend the warranty after initial 3 years..
More than it's worth. Those who have paid for extended warranties have complained of hassles getting coverage that they expected. It would be better to pay monthly into an interest-bearing "i3 repair cost" account that could be used to pay for repairs.

Back