24h with an i3 BEV - some thoughts......

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoangel

OK, many points here will have been covered elsewhere but hopefully this will give an alternative view of the i3 that might be helpful:

First off let me say, coming from an aerospace and petrol head and especially last 10 years an ECO technology background, I am impressed that BMW has put the i3 on the market.

It really is a fun car to drive but it has a lot of compromises, many of which could be addressed in a Mk2 at some stage.

In no particular order, but starting with the +VES:

THE GOOD:

1. Quietness! It's very good. It drives like no other car - yes other EVs offer similar dB experiences but the construction and stiffness of the chassis help to make this a rattle free environment.
2. The i3 in comfort mode has excellent handling and steering feel - part of the latter is undoubtedly an algorithm but also down to the narrow Bridgestone tyres.
3. The Driver's fwd visibility is better than expected - the A pillars are wide but no worse than other modern cars. But you still must move your head around these intrusions.
4. The seats are fairly comfortable and I like the 3 levels of seat heating (not available in ECO RPO PLUS).
5. Grip is better than expected - I drove in slippery wet and muddy uphill tarred road conditions and in COMFORT mode there were no issues.
6. The cruise control is intuitive and very useful on Dual Carriageways/freeways.
7. Ride: firm but acceptable - no where near a Citroen DS or Rolls Royce but given the high pressure tyres and stiff chassis it's pretty compliant.
8. Cabin feel: a feeling of space and lightness
9. Acceleration - this side of a Tesla - more than adequate and probably too addictive!
10. Futuristic - most other cars now feel 20th Century after driving one. NB: I still like classic cars!
11. Great tight turning circle!

THE NOT SO GOOD / -VES

1. The doors are very heavy for such a "light" car - this is due to the re-inforcement on both main and suicide doors to allow for B pillar removal - so more a case of style with too much substance - a simpler design would have saved weight
2. If BMW really wanted to make a lighter car then the excesses? The wing mirrors are HUGE by ECO car and aerodynamic stds - they could learn from the VW XL1 and fit cameras as an option with internal viewing flat screens. Why 3 wipers instead of 1 with better rear aero-design (like Audi A2 Cd 0.25)?
3. The car is fidgety on country/back roads in ECO PRO and PRO PLUS (which sounds like a pain killer!) - partly this is where the chassis / braking control electronics are fighting with the driver when he/she demands a more flowing / progressive drive - this is not such an issue in Comfort but range is then affected.
4. Seat Height adjustment - not new for BMW drivers but other will have to get used to lifting their entiure body weight up on the steering wheel (front pax - where's the hand hold?) to raise front seat up.
5. Very poor boot space and little rear pax foot and head room for a car with >2m girth (incl mirrors). Can't take 3 in the back and can't fit the smallest pram/baby stroller in boot/trunk. Could so easily be a five-seater. And why not make rear seats removable?
6. Very limited colour choices - if you want orange then you'll pay through the nose for an interior upgrade just because of a Silver lining! Why not offer orange with the blue stripe like that other Scottish brew " Iron Bru" !
7. Expensive winter tyre option in UK: In Germany a full set of 4 i3 wheels and tyres can be ordered for 900 Euros - it's double that in UK! NB: NO SPARE WHEEL, JACK OR WHEEL BRACE is supplied with UK cars just puncture gloop kit. Latter not always reliable so break down cover essential.
8. Owners will get used to it but start up is slow process for newbies- A2 1.2 has large red LED instructions to put foot on brake pedal before starting.
9. No SOC ! bar chart is not enough BMW!
10. More space given over to Cup holders than luggage space/legroom rear/potential 5th occupant - OK I exaggerate! - but why do we need over sized cup holders in UK?
11. Re-GEN could be more colourful - I managed to find the sweet spot eventually - the i3 manual says coasting is most efficient use of momentum - more than re-gen due to losses. How about an Analogue display more in line with the drivers lookout? Maybe an HUD like fighter pilots use with AoA gauge.
12. Connectivity: By and large it's good - but non bmw owners will take some time getting used to the controls. It;s more windows than mac in the layered menu approach. NB: you can't use iphone app on demo cars as it's specific to owner/VIN. It took me an age to find Heat Pump / battery pre conditioning on over night recharge. Then at work next day lost 6h of potential recharge as it was not in "charge now"mode but on timer (great for economy 7 tariff but useless for out and about!
13. RHD markets: if you are Right handed then the handwriting input device is hard work!
14. Tailgate and Rear View camera gets dirty very quickly in British wet winter conditions!
15. Demo car had LOFT interior - white carpets are a nightmare!
16. Auto parking and Voice Recognition can be fooled - Manual states don't depend on former!
17. Again common to lots of EVs: Most Pedestrans can't hear you! Good part is it forces you to look further ahead at pedestrians near(ing) pavement.
18. English in the handbook seems more Google Language tools than linguist derived!

OK what about range?

PART 1:

Picked up from Lincoln (Soper BMW) on a drizzly evening. OAT: 5 deg C.
Fully charged.
C: 65 miles
EP: 72
EP+: 82

30 mile drive to Nottingham on almost traffic free A46 DC/Highway.

1/2 journey in cruise control in EP at 65 mph.

Arrived home with :

C: 26 miles
EP: 27
EP+: 32

or about 45% charge remaining

Lecram - nice one!

Actually it was Napoleon who made you guys change over from keeping left of centreline!

RANGE PART 2:

Took family out for city drive through Nottingham using EP+

But it was too cold!

After 9.3 miles of city driving:

C: 19 miles
EP: 21
EP+: 26

so about 30% chrage remaining.

RANGE PART 3:

Cold night but no frost. OAT 1 deg C at 0715Z

Fully charged (13amp socket) and cabin pre conditioned to 16 deg C.

Electricity used: 19 kWh

29.1 mile Commute to work on A roads. EP mode.

Average 38 mph, and 19.6 kWh/100km on the clock.

C: 35 miles
EP: 36
EP+: 44

Approx 52% charge remaining.

Tried to recharge but only managed couple of hours.

Returned to Dealer in EP+ mode (again very cold in cabin) and 6 miles remaining on gauge!

NB: uphill (Great Gonerby southbound into Grantham) with 39mph Cruise control set consumption around 37 kWh/100km.

Hard accel test was high 60s kWh/100km

Lecram said:
Regarding point 13: it's not BMW's fault that you drive at the wrong side of the road ;)

Further regarding point 13-

So maybe you can feel some sympathy for those of us who will be driving on the right (as in correct) side but are afflicted with the unfortunate condition known as being left handed. That darned handwriting feature on the iDrive controller isn't going to do us much good either. :)

The range seems very close to what I expect from our Leaf under similar conditions. The BMW 80-100 miles is certainly optimistic in winter conditions, but should be attainable in summer. I'm glad I've gone for a Rex!

tiburonh said:
Lecram said:
Regarding point 13: it's not BMW's fault that you drive at the wrong side of the road ;)

So maybe you can feel some sympathy for those of us who will be driving on the right (as in correct) side but are afflicted with the unfortunate condition known as being left handed. That darned handwriting feature on the iDrive controller isn't going to do us much good either. :)

I think the traffic police might have something to say about handwriting while driving. If you want to take notes then park and shuffle across to the passenger seat if necessary. There's no transmission tunnel in the way.

We drive on the left in order for right handed riders to be able to draw their swords or pistols and defend themselves from ill-intentioned folk coming in the opposite direction. Also, when changing gear you keep your dominant hand on the steering wheel. This accounts for the truly horrendous carnage from sword fights and single vehicle accidents in countries where they have taken the path of Napoleon. :lol:

ChrisRayner said:
tiburonh said:
Lecram said:

I think the traffic police might have something to say about handwriting while driving. If you want to take notes then park and shuffle across to the passenger seat if necessary. There's no transmission tunnel in the way.

We drive on the left in order for right handed riders to be able to draw their swords or pistols and defend themselves from ill-intentioned folk coming in the opposite direction. Also, when changing gear you keep your dominant hand on the steering wheel. This accounts for the truly horrendous carnage from sword fights and single vehicle accidents in countries where they have taken the path of Napoleon. :lol:

Forget cup-holders - UK spec models should come with a driver's side scabbard.

ChrisRayner said:
tiburonh said:
Lecram said:

Touché, and lol

tiburonh said:
Lecram said:

I am so glad that I live in a country where we drive at the right side of the road and that I have the right physical domination :D

Interestingly US Postal service vehicles are RHD, and historically all chauffeur driven limousenes were the same so that the driver could get out on the pavement (ok US say side walk) to let pax out.

Now with i3 has the weird rear door release and front seatbelt arrangement, the driver will have to get out to let out pax! So if you carry more than one pax regularly maybe consider a RHD.......!

Just got hold of an i3 REX for 24h to compare. Will write up soon if I find anything interesting that's not already been reported here !

ecoangel said:
13. RHD markets: if you are Right handed then the handwriting input device is hard work!

I missed that but I'm left handed. Lefties get used to everything being on the wrong side.

14. Tailgate and Rear View camera gets dirty very quickly in British wet winter conditions!

Leaf has that problem too. Is there any hatchback with a rear view camera stays clean?

Thanks AndrewDebbie,

I think if BMW did some more work on the rear spoiler Aerodynamics and positioning (extending it and moving it down the rear screen) then a rear facing camera could be kept free from dirt and maybe even the rear wiper could be deleted removing weight and improving EV range.

ecoangel said:
Thanks AndrewDebbie,

I think if BMW did some more work on the rear spoiler Aerodynamics and positioning (extending it and moving it down the rear screen) then a rear facing camera could be kept free from dirt and maybe even the rear wiper could be deleted removing weight and improving EV range.

I for one would not want the rear spoiler moved further down the rear screen. Visibility out the rear is already pretty limited!

A narrow spoiler half way down the screen actually improves visibility because as it stands the i3 gets very dirty under the spoiler - all the air above it is kept clean by the slipstream. Many cars have this eg: Audi A2, Prius, old Honda CRX etc...

Reversing is no issue - especially with a clean rear view camera!

Link for pics:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=542

or

http://www.lukafoto.com/bmwi3bev/content/IMG_5890_large.html

Back