"25.0mph?"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808Pants

Mid-left side of my driver's display for the past month or so, there's been this unchanging display of "25.0mph" next to a gauge-face icon. What did I do to bring this on?

Prior to that, for equally-mysterious reasons, I had a very useful display in the same spot, showing (I'm a little hazy on this) something like %SOC (that also replaced something else that was there previously, something I didn't pay attention to).

I am guessing these can be toggled through via some control that I've accidentally hit. Where might that be?

Dave

Sounds like you have enabled Cruise Control at 25mph. You need to turn it off.
The other display is toggled by a button at the end of the Turn Signal Stalk. Press it repeatedly to toggle through the different info displays to get what you want.

Mid-left side of my driver's display for the past month or so, there's been this unchanging display of "25.0mph" next to a gauge-face icon. What did I do to bring this on?

Prior to that, for equally-mysterious reasons, I had a very useful display in the same spot, showing (I'm a little hazy on this) something like %SOC (that also replaced something else that was there previously, something I didn't pay attention to).

I am guessing these can be toggled through via some control that I've accidentally hit. Where might that be?

Dave
Are you meaning the screen location that on my picture shows the current temperature? If so, that's toggled thru with the "BC" button at the end of the turn signal stalk. I have no idea what "BC" stands for. Or does it look like a little speed limit sign? IMG_20230825_154257.jpg

I re-read your post again and you REALLY should read the Owner's Manual.
The button at the end of the turn signal stalk toggles through several data options as I mentioned.
ONE of those is the "average speed" that the vehicle has gone since the setting was last reset.
You can reset it by making sure that is visible, then HOLDING the button in until it clears.

I re-read your post again and you REALLY should read the Owner's Manual.
The button at the end of the turn signal stalk toggles through several data options as I mentioned.
ONE of those is the "average speed" that the vehicle has gone since the setting was last reset.
You can reset it by making sure that is visible, then HOLDING the button in until it clears.
RTFM is a little harsh, IMHO. That manual isn't particularly user friendly, and the "BC" label on the turn signal stalk button isn't at all intuitive. My wife asked me if it was the button to distribute birth control. (It is not.)

BC is used on other BMW models as well and some thing it means "board computer," but for the i3 I like "binnacle computer."

Even though the BC label is esoteric, a lot of cars just have a random unlabeled button poking through the instrument cluster (in olden times to reset the mechanical trip meter) that performs similar functions.

Sounds like you have enabled Cruise Control at 25mph. You need to turn it off.
The other display is toggled by a button at the end of the Turn Signal Stalk. Press it repeatedly to toggle through the different info displays to get what you want.
Which reminds me of a related problem. I like to see the outside temperature on the driver’s display, but randomly it gets reset to something else, often it’s the time of day. Is this normal?

Which reminds me of a related problem. I like to see the outside temperature on the driver’s display, but randomly it gets reset to something else, often it’s the time of day. Is this normal?
It's actually the same problem 808Pants had: just keep tapping that BC button on the turn signal stalk until the data you want appears. I, too, prefer temp.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure that anyone who intentionally and deliberately selects "Average speed since reset" mode puts on one sock and one shoe first, then the other sock and shoe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

No. Sounds you are accidentally tapping the button on the end of the turn signal stalk

I thought everyone would know what the BC button does. You need it to figure out how many miles are only the odometer.

I thought everyone would know what the BC button does. You need it to figure out how many miles are only the odometer.
I had the car over 6 months before I figured out it toggled thru a series of measurements . . . and have never heard a believable explanation -- although I've seen/heard some Lucasian level retconning -- as to what BC represents.

It's actually the same problem 808Pants had: just keep tapping that BC button on the turn signal stalk until the data you want appears. I, too, prefer temp.

(BTW, I'm pretty sure that anyone who intentionally and deliberately selects "Average speed since reset" mode puts on one sock and one shoe first, then the other sock and shoe. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
I know how to select the information I’d like to see on the display, but I don’t know how to keep it there. Sometimes the temperature will stay selected for several days, and other times it gets reset randomly, or so it seems.

I know how to select the information I’d like to see on the display, but I don’t know how to keep it there. Sometimes the temperature will stay selected for several days, and other times it gets reset randomly, or so it seems.
If that happened to me, I'd blame my spouse. Or parent, child, partner, roommate, etc., as applicable. Much better than somnambulism, demonic possession, hallucinatory mania, etc.

Keep it simple and non-supernatural is among my mottos.

Thanks, all. Yes, of course that WAS it. My fingers don't expect any control there, apparently. I suspect on occasion when I'm getting into the car at 0dark:30 that something just short of supernatural happens.

I gotta go look again, but I didn't notice a temperature option on scrolling through the display. I'd find that useful too.

Back