A "what if" navigation mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YondanRon

I've noted that the Nav system does a good job of estimating range using the previous driving style and elevation changes on the chosen route. On a trip from the Bay Area up to the Sierra Nevada mountains, I thought (and calculated) quite a bit to minimize my charging stops. My driving behavior was thus modified to suit my range needs. Over about 50 mph the wind resistance becomes the major factor in determining range, with the necessary power changing with the cube of the speed.

I'd like to see a nav mode which calculates which speed to travel in order to comfortably reach a destination or, conversely, where the range extender would kick in (or where the non-rex i3 would just stop) if I travelled at some specific speed.

The other little trick I used is incalculable -- drafting trucks in the truck lane on long steep uphill climbs. The cruise control with minimal spacing chosen does a great job of that (and 8 miles at 35 mph is not THAT much of an inconvenience).

Ron Chestnut

Great idea.
This predictive range and driving recommendation algorithm would be much more useful than a state of charge (% battery level) display.

Anyone know how often the predicted distance to 'empty' is recalculated? I know that even when not using CC, it often isn't linear - the predicted range may drop only 2-3 miles after having traveled 10 or so (or even more than currently traveled, depending on driving style).

Pretty sure it is recalculated in real-time, at least every second, though not necessarily visually changed. I say this as if you change any setting in the car (climate control, heated seats, etc.), it changes within a second. The distance is purely guessing due to constant variability of the terrain being drive. It would be quite distracting and potentially drive people insane if it changed every second. I hear you on not changing while having driven a distance. You have to keep in mind regen, stop-start, etc. It is trying to guess against the driving pattern of the previous 20 miles. As such, I find it updates quite accurately against miles traveled when on the highway/motorway, while in urban driving it seems to sit on the same distance for several miles traveled due to stop-start and regen.

Back