Access to the 'Range Extender' connection point.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noakey

Hi.. I have been thinking up some other solutions for extending my range, but I need access to a charge point on the i3 as it is traveling along. So clearly I can't use the external plug.. lol.

Sooooo... can I access the point where the Range Extender generator plugs in? And what is its spec? I want to feed in 240Vac to this point.

Thank yooo

Great question :!:

I guess we need to know what is the range extender output - 12v dc, 24v dc other? Don’t know where we will get this unless someone with an i3 can measure it……….

It's best to be safe, my guess the motor area is supposed to be accessed/serviced by electricians trained to work with high voltage. Would hate to see some random forum member run into an 'accident' by messing with it.

Why can't you just live with the stock range extender? There are just too many things that can go wrong with a diy range extender solution, even if you think you are a good electrician.

shaoyu said:
It's best to be safe, my guess the motor area is supposed to be accessed/serviced by electricians trained to work with high voltage. Would hate to see some random forum member run into an 'accident' by messing with it.

Why can't you just live with the stock range extender? There are just too many things that can go wrong with a diy range extender solution, even if you think you are a good electrician.

Leave it alone :!: If only as a mental exercise its fun to find out. :)

MikeS said:
shaocan readabout real s best to be safe said:
Leave it alone :!: If only as a mental exercise its fun to find out. :)

Hi.. In reality I think fiddling in the brains and power bits is something I would not venture into. .. but it's great trying to find out all the ins and outs of this awesome lil machine. .

If anyone knows anywhere I can find real deep tech on the i3 let us all know...

:)

You can also buy a 1000 mile cord with plugs which gives you a 1000 miles range to your destination and back. You dont have to find a free charge point anymore!

Back