Any Australian i3 owners here?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion2185

Just moved to Australia from America and I'm very interested in the i3
Pricing was a bit of a tough pill to swallow. But costs are pretty much higher on everything compared to usa.

Been trying to get info from Brisbane dealear and all I can get is a load of bs

Anyone care to detail what sort of deal they got with their i3?
Notice allot of the usa i3 owners post their lease offers etc
Trying to wrap my head around what an i3 deal would detail here in Aus

Don't really understand how car sales work in Australia
Brisbane dealer basically told me that if I really want an i3 then I should expect to pay more than msrp. As demand is high with low inventory and long factory waits

Buying and lease details are much differnt that what I'm use to in the Usa

I want to go in prepared and know when in getting a good or bad deal
As my initial dealings with th Brisbane salesman tells me i need to do my homework and make sure I fully understand everything

Orion2185 said:
Brisbane dealer basically told me that if I really want an i3 then I should expect to pay more than msrp. As demand is high with low inventory and long factory waits

I ordered one sight unseen in Dec '13. After a lot of argy bargy I paid about msrp, maybe a little below.

There are very few BMW dealers in Australia, and most of them are BMW owned. BMW generally builds to customer order here, so yes there is low inventory and a delay between order and delivery anyway, but the i3 has a longer factory wait list due to worldwide demand.

If you are prepared to wait, you should be able to negotiate a reasonable deal but don't expect a bargain...

also can anyone point me to where I can learn more about servicing the i3 at what intervals and cost?

BMW Australia does not list the i3 warranty information ...what is it??

Orion2185 said:
also can anyone point me to where I can learn more about servicing the i3 at what intervals and cost?

No idea about servicing costs. My i3 tells me it needs a check in July 2015. It was delivered in Dec '14. This is for the BEV, no idea about the REX, but I expect it will need more servicing.

The Australian brochure offers an 8 year, 100,000km 70% capacity battery warranty. Other than that, I think the i3 is covered under the standard BMW 36 month supplementary warranty: http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/owners/bmw_service/bmw_assistance/

I33t said:
Orion2185 said:

No idea about servicing costs. My i3 tells me it needs a check in July 2015. It was delivered in Dec '14. This is for the BEV, no idea about the REX, but I expect it will need more servicing.

The Australian brochure offers an 8 year, 100,000km 70% capacity battery warranty. Other than that, I think the i3 is covered under the standard BMW 36 month supplementary warranty: http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/owners/bmw_service/bmw_assistance/

thank you
yes dealer is sending me a brochure...but could not find that info on the i3 website

dealer is trying to sell me on the DC rapid charger
it is my understanding this is used at public charging stations. But based upon what I can find on the web....there are no DC charges around the Gold Coast
or does the DC rapid charger work with the BMW wallbox or other at home charger?

Nope. You're correct. DC Charger is heavy duty infrastructure, not something you would have at home and definitely doesn't work with the wallbox. The wallbox is AC.

I ordered DC Prep but there are also no DC chargers around here. Might be some in Melbourne. My thinking was it could improve resale if or when I ever sell the car, and it's likely that DC chargers will eventually pop up around the place. DC charging cannot be refitted to the car as an accessory, it's a factory only option.

BMW Brisbane is quoting dealer delivery fee of $5,850
"The dealer delivery charges are not at $2,500, the Prices on the website are a recommended dealer delivery price set by BMW Australia, which does not cover the actually cost invoiced to us by the Pre-delivery centre which charges $5,850. These are different costs for every dealer depending on who they use for pre-delivery. "

2 in stock REX models

Laurus Grey with Loft interior would cost $79,159 Drive away. With Drive assistant plus is $81,393

I have a Laurus Grey with Loft interior Rex model with DC rapid charge as the only option $80,175

what should one expect as a "good" or acceptable business lease deal?
again never bought a car in australia in my life and just dont know the logistics of making a deal here.
In the USA money talks and negotiating on the final sticker price is simple and easy (and pretty much expected)
BMW Brisbane will not budge on price

BMW Brisbane outsources their predelivery for $5850? Sounds like a load of bull. Maybe they have their own separate predelivery business to take off some cash. The i3 has minimal predelivery required. I suggest getting competitive quote from Sydney and Melbourne. Delivery to Brisbane would only be a few hundred dollars.

yeah I get the feeling the Brisbane sellsguy talks allot of bull

that's why I'm on here to figure out whats accurate and whats typical salesman bs

sells guy is trying to sell me on a service for i3
here are the details

"Servicing for the i3 Rex would cost approx $1100 for a 5yr/60,000 basic service plan and $2500 for a 5yr/60,000km comprehensive service plan which includes brakes."

this is a new concept to me

so we pre pay for servicing?

is it a good deal?
my guy tells me they would not offer it...if they don't make money on it

I know the REX still has a small motor...but thought one of the key selling features of an EV is really no need for service like an ICE

Back