Any experience with updating the GPS maps?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinc

Hello! My 2017 i3 has a couple of minor (but nagging) map errors. I went to check the version of Road Maps, and it is on North America Next 2016-2, which I assume is what was installed from factory.

I am subscribed to Connected Drive, but it seems that this does not provide OTA map updates. Does anybody know if this is something that a BMW dealer has to do? Can it be requested in any other way?

I am subscribed to Connected Drive, but it seems that this does not provide OTA map updates. Does anybody know if this is something that a BMW dealer has to do? Can it be requested in any other way?
OTA updates in the U.S. began with the 2018 model, so you would need to update your maps via a USB flash drive inserted in the USB port. I was able to find map versions on the Internet which I downloaded (~30 GB), copied to a USB flash drive, and installed. However, you'd probably have to buy a map license or update code, either single update or lifetime, to complete the update. Several Websites offer these licenses and map downloads.

To wrap up this topic, I went on eBay and found a number of people selling the upgrade with the unlock code. It was also fairly inexpensive.

I purchased one of those. They sent me a ZIP file that I had to uncompress to a thumb drive following a few specific steps that they also sent me. They recommended windows PC, but I did it with a Mac and everything worked. Then it was a matter of plugging the drive to the USB port on the i3 and following the prompts. The files took almost an hour to copy, but it was a very straightforward process.

BMW is for me one of the cheapest manufacturer map updates I've found, in that my i3 updates via a USB stick and is just £50 for a whole year of updates, which can be up to four in one year. My service agreement also included two updates in four years. You just need a large empty 32Gb stick, and the process is quite seamless.

To wrap up this topic, I went on eBay and found a number of people selling the upgrade with the unlock code. It was also fairly inexpensive.

I purchased one of those. They sent me a ZIP file that I had to uncompress to a thumb drive following a few specific steps that they also sent me. They recommended windows PC, but I did it with a Mac and everything worked. Then it was a matter of plugging the drive to the USB port on the i3 and following the prompts. The files took almost an hour to copy, but it was a very straightforward process.
Great that you circled back with that info -- I have a 2017 also. Since you had a good experience with the eBay seller, could you perhaps provide a link to the map update you got? Sometimes eBay can be a crap shoot and since you've already done the due diligence, I'd like to ride your coattails so as to not re-invent the wheel. Thanks!

could you perhaps provide a link to the map update you got?
I don't think the people that run this forum could or should allow that, in the same way that they can't allow links to warez (illegally copied software). In the end, this is just someone making money by selling something that they don't own. The people who put in the work to update the maps get no recompense for the costs they incur, and the people selling the hacked updates incur almost no costs of their own.

Of course, if you want to ask for and share links to illegal copies via Private Message, that's a different matter.

I don't think the people that run this forum could or should allow that, in the same way that they can't allow links to warez (illegally copied software). In the end, this is just someone making money by selling something that they don't own. The people who put in the work to update the maps get no recompense for the costs they incur, and the people selling the hacked updates incur almost no costs of their own.

Of course, if you want to ask for and share links to illegal copies via Private Message, that's a different matter.
What in particular makes you suggest that there's anything underhanded going on, or that the licenses are not legit? It's a serious accusation . . .

What in particular makes you suggest that there's anything underhanded going on, or that the licenses are not legit? It's a serious accusation . . .
I'm not making any serious accusations by saying that it's trivially easy to find pirated software on Ebay.

Do you really believe that BMW sells map updates on Ebay?

If not, where does the legitimacy of those map updates come from? It seems (to me) very very unlikely that you would ever buy a genuine BMW map update on Ebay because, as far as I'm aware, all genuine updates are customised to match a specific car.

I'm not making any serious accusations by saying that it's trivially easy to find pirated software on Ebay.

Do you really believe that BMW sells map updates on Ebay?

If not, where does the legitimacy of those map updates come from? It seems (to me) very very unlikely that you would ever buy a genuine BMW map update on Ebay because, as far as I'm aware, all genuine updates are customised to match a specific car.
I want to assume that there is a way to buy bulk and then resale as individual licenses through places like eBay. Otherwise, TomTom could very easily take those listings down. There are many available, with a long history of sales and plenty of feedback (some vendors even have full websites outside of eBay). I once tried to sell an Apple laptop that I had forgotten was running a beta version of MacOS, and Apple had the listing removed within a day.

Last edited:
Hello! My 2017 i3 has a couple of minor (but nagging) map errors. I went to check the version of Road Maps, and it is on North America Next 2016-2, which I assume is what was installed from factory.

I was under the same impression that the 'Over the Air" map updates were not happening during my 4 year subscription to Connected Drive/Remote services. Well the updates were incremental. So when you check for your version of the maps, you will see just below the "North American 2016-2" there should be additional information on that screen. Take a look at my screen shot.

Where it says "automatic map update"

CAN, AK 2024-1

This is the incremental map update. This was happening every so often over the span of 4 years but my understanding of the process was incorrect. It works so my NORTH AMICAN EVO 2019-3 maps are updated to CAN, AK 2024-1

Attachments

• IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
I was under the same impression that the 'Over the Air" map updates were not happening during my 4 year subscription to Connected Drive/Remote services. Well the updates were incremental. So when you check for your version of the maps, you will see just below the "North American 2016-2" there should be additional information on that screen. Take a look at my screen shot.

Where it says "automatic map update"

CAN, AK 2024-1

This is the incremental map update. This was happening every so often over the span of 4 years but my understanding of the process was incorrect. It works so my NORTH AMICAN EVO 2019-3 maps are updated to CAN, AK 2024-1
Thanks for checking! It seems that since my i3 is a 2017, OTA is indeed not included, as alohart said. Kind of annoying, since Connected Drive is the same price. My screen did not show the option to update.

Attachments

• 2fdb7145687ac650.jpeg
    2fdb7145687ac650.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back