Autocar, 22/1/2014, Road Test of i3 Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clive

Last week's “Autocar” (UK) published an 8-page road test on the BMW i3 Rex that was very complimentary.
4 stars were awarded to the “most desirable real-world electric car yet”, the test poetically concluding with “one whose soul exists to be enjoyed, not just endured”. Strongly recommended the Rex as the version to get, rather than Bev.

Observed battery range was 68-94 miles, with the typical figure said to be 75 miles; average economy reported as 294 Wh/mile. Petrol consumption was “about 40 mpg”. Noted that “With a fresh charge and fresh tank, then, you could expect comfortably over 150 miles”.

Using the Rex engine to hold the battery charge below 75% full, the writer found that the battery “depletes a little between switch-offs”. No details of speed, terrain etc. were given - it was not considered a big deal.

I read the autocar review also very informative..

But i noticed there Economy figures were based on a 22kWh battery but on BMW webpage its says The capacity is 18.8 kWh?
So there figures cant be accurate? Based on 22kWh
Average 294 Wh/mile was 75 miles
Touring 233 Wh/mile was 94 miles
Track 323 Wh/mile was 68 miles

If the battery is 18.8 kWh then the figures should be nearer

Average 250 Wh/mile was 75 miles
Touring 200 Wh/mile was 94 miles
Track 276 Wh/mile was 68 miles

So is the battery 22kWh or 18.8 kWh ? i know BMW buffer the battery but only usable capacity should be used for calculations.

Back