CHAdeMO to SAE J1772 DC (Combo) adaptor?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chrisn said:
WoodlandHills said:
There is a reason that gas stations are often clustered at highway exits, should EVs be any different?

Multi-hour chargers (L2) were located where people parked for multiple hours. When fast chargers were added, they were built in similar locations. This is probably optimal for urban locations.

Longer term, Fast Charging in urban locations is silly. Fast Chargers should be near freeway exits along routes between major urban centers. Tesla's own network reflects this.
I firmly believe this is the best approach...DC so you can travel a bit further without a major time drag, Level 2 stuff where you may be staying for awhile (work, shopping, eating, theater, airports).

Chrisn said:
I think you guys are missing my point. The adopting of EVs is a process that will take decades. We don't need to waste money addressing the needs of all users in all use cases at the beginning of this process. Early adopters WILL be higher-income people with multiple cars. That's not bad.

Public charging needs to be for edge cases, not everyday use. In the SF Bay Area, even at the is early stage, the existing public charging stations are saturated and can no longer be counted on for availability. Rather than pouring tons of public money into trying to keep up with demand, we should use the price system to ensure that only drivers that REALLY NEED the charge and using the scare chargers. Certainly free is NOT the right price to efficiently allocate the plugs. Folks seeking to minimize charging cost and maximize convenience should face a price system that encourages them to buy a car with the range to meet 90% of their daily needs and recharge at home overnight.

Its fine to make DC Fast Charging free for so long as there is excess capacity, but long term it should be priced at a steep premium to "home kWh" to reflect the huge benefit to consumers and the high cost of deployment.

Long term, I agree with Chrisn here. While I myself enjoy free charging at shopping centers when I am travelling around the city, I think the cost of these chargers needs to reflect the cost of installation and maintenance. EV vehicles were designed for a different mindset of charge before you go, and charge when you get back. Now we are adding in all these chargers at random places and spending thousands on them, instead of looking long term and doing like others are suggesting-slower cheaper chargers at places like shopping centers, theaters, etc and expensive L3 chargers along thoroughfares to enable distance travelling, like Tesla did on highway 101.

Planning a trip to North Central Oklahoma from North Central Alabama and a preliminary scan showed only a few CHAdeMO chargers and no BMW i3 compatible DC chargers along the way. There are a lot of Level 2 chargers but we know many are only rated at 6.6 kW versus 7.2 kW for our rides. I was hoping to find one, usable, high-speed DC charger in a populated area walking distance from a nice restaurant.

I can't and never expected to make the whole trip on EV. That is why we have a REx. Just I was kinda hoping to find at least one. Did I miss 'the memo?'

Bob Wilson

This is why I'm not too bent out of shape that my car doesn't have the DC fast charge option.

There's almost no place to use it, particularly since my car is a BEV. I think there's three in town (a city of 1M+) and none of them are where I go, or between where I go.

IF we're lucky, and can wait some, the Feds are considering using up to about $4.5B of the fine on VW to help fund a lot of the EV infrastructure. As with anything related to the government, things rarely happen fast, but at least the thought bodes well, or at least better, for the future.

IMHO, not having the DC fast charge capability, at least in another couple of years, will hurt sales and trade-in, far more than it cost originally to have it. But, that assumes you want to use the car for purposes other than it was optimized. If your trips don't stress the batteries, it's not much use.

Back