Connected Drive authentication message not arriving on UK 2021 i3s - SOLUTION

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10067

Hi! I went around in circles on this one so hopefully it will help someone else. On my final run i3s I couldn’t work out how to fond the Connected Drive authentication message to get the authentication code to finalise setup of my i3s in the MyBMW/Connected Drive app. I went through every menu, selected every option, gave up, came back to it a few days later… eventually I had to eat humble pie and email the dealer I bought it from and even they scratched their heads a bit until one of the service guys came up with the really obvious, in hindsight, solution…

Problem: Connected Drive authentication message not appearing on 2021 BMW i3s
When I registered for connected drive services via the app an authentication message was sent to the vehicle. It looked like the message never arrived in the vehicle, nothing in messages, no nothing in notifications, no little message icon at the top of the screen, etc. I tried this several times.

Solution: “Update BMW Services” in Connected Drive menu.
Using the iDrive interface Navigate to the connected drive menu, then press the physical “Options” button (bottom right button under the iDrive wheel) and select “Update BMW Services”. After only a few seconds the “last” authentication message comes through with the 6 digit code to authenticate with the connected drive servers.

Happy EV-ing - please comment if this helped you!

Hi! I went around in circles on this one so hopefully it will help someone else. On my final run i3s I couldn’t work out how to fond the Connected Drive authentication message to get the authentication code to finalise setup of my i3s in the MyBMW/Connected Drive app. I went through every menu, selected every option, gave up, came back to it a few days later… eventually I had to eat humble pie and email the dealer I bought it from and even they scratched their heads a bit until one of the service guys came up with the really obvious, in hindsight, solution…

Problem: Connected Drive authentication message not appearing on 2021 BMW i3s
When I registered for connected drive services via the app an authentication message was sent to the vehicle. It looked like the message never arrived in the vehicle, nothing in messages, no nothing in notifications, no little message icon at the top of the screen, etc. I tried this several times.

Solution: “Update BMW Services” in Connected Drive menu.
Using the iDrive interface Navigate to the connected drive menu, then press the physical “Options” button (bottom right button under the iDrive wheel) and select “Update BMW Services”. After only a few seconds the “last” authentication message comes through with the 6 digit code to authenticate with the connected drive servers.

Happy EV-ing - please comment if this helped you!
Hi, Glad you were able to find the answer to that problem. I recently acquired an older i3, the 2019, and did not experience that particular snag. Just pleased there's another UK i3 owner to compare notes with, as and when. All the best. Peter (Winchester UK)

Hello,

A big thumb up for your solution.
The problem was different on my i3, the bmw i message item was not present in the car system.
So impossible to receive the authentication code.
I test your solution "update BMW services" et voilà, the bmw i message was here with my code, thank you.
Now I could use the mybmw app.

Back