Converting BMW 2002 to electric using i3 parts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot will of course depend on the severity of the crash. BMW define an area all round the HV battery, and if there is any damage within that boundary they consider the car to be irreparable.

The i3 Training Manual is a good document to read through, as it gives hints about components that may have to be replaced after an accident. Examples I can think of are the airbag igniters, the seatbelt pretensioners, the battery disconnect system and possibly the airbag controller and accident data recorder (which has to be replaced if accident data has completely filled up the original one - they apparently can't be cleared of accident data).

I've never needed to check how much any of these cost to replace, but I would expect each of those items to be very expensive indeed.

But there is nobody here with experience with getting a car back to running after a crash?

The damage on the car is really minor. Some scratches on the bodywork, no structural damage. Also no deployment of airbags. I have no confirmation yet, but I think the car was hit when it was parked. I can't find information about actual crashed cars that have been repaired back to work again. I think those information will help me. Do any of you know a place where I can find information about someone that fixed a crashed car? (or maybe someone who bought parts from a crashed car to convert another car to a i3 drivetrain with i3 battery?)

There must be thousands of i3s that get repaired every year (given that BMW sold more than a quarter of a million of them), but I would guess that the issue is that there are numerous ways in which a car can be accident damaged - plus the fact that the majority of those will be repaired professionally, and there's little reason for professional repair shops to post here.

It's common for even very minor accidents to cause more complex damage than you would initially think, but if it really is scratched bodywork, you don't really need any more info or help - just get the scratches fixed/repainted or the panels replaced and painted.

There must be thousands of i3s that get repaired every year (given that BMW sold more than a quarter of a million of them), but I would guess that the issue is that there are numerous ways in which a car can be accident damaged - plus the fact that the majority of those will be repaired professionally, and there's little reason for professional repair shops to post here.

It's common for even very minor accidents to cause more complex damage than you would initially think, but if it really is scratched bodywork, you don't really need any more info or help - just get the scratches fixed/repainted or the panels replaced and painted.
But the car isn't running because of the accident. I guess some crash sensors have activated something somewhere to prevent it from running. Letting it get fixed by professionals is not the route I want to go (expensive). Therefor, I'm looking for others who may have had the same or similar problem.

Until you have it in your possession and can scan it for diagnostic fault codes, there seems little constructive that you can do, because you have no way to be sure what the problem is.

But, as suggested, if you read the Training Manual, it will give you some ideas about what the cause ~might~ be.

I recommend that you check out some of the videos on Youtube. It is amazing what some owners have done to them. I am certain that you will find some of them both interesting and informative

But there is nobody here with experience with getting a car back to running after a crash?

The damage on the car is really minor. Some scratches on the bodywork, no structural damage. Also no deployment of airbags. I have no confirmation yet, but I think the car was hit when it was parked. I can't find information about actual crashed cars that have been repaired back to work again. I think those information will help me. Do any of you know a place where I can find information about someone that fixed a crashed car? (or maybe someone who bought parts from a crashed car to convert another car to a i3 drivetrain with i3 battery?)
I recall seeing a youtube video about upgrading the battery in an I3 that the batteries controller needs replacing after a crash. It may just be a bit that needs to be reset, if possible, in an active 12 volt car without high voltages. I think it's obvious that the BMW engineers wanted to protect first responders and the occupants from high voltages on the cables in the event of a crash.

I'm hoping to the put the motor/gearbox/inverter in the back and the batteries in the front.

That is a really useful link though, thanks!
That makes the distance greater than on an I3 with batteries in front and the electric motor in back. You will want to look into using higher gauge wires. In my 74 2002tii, I recall moving the 12v battery into the trunk and I used two #0 gauge cables (memory fading) to the solenoid/starter to minimize resistance over the high current path. With high currents, the resistance in wiring becomes more important to avoid voltage drops.

But the car isn't running because of the accident. I guess some crash sensors have activated something somewhere to prevent it from running.
If there's no voltage on the 12 V system, the explosive disconnect on the positive battery cable clamp might have activated. I believe that the positive battery cable would need to be replaced to fix this problem.

If there's at least 12 V on the 12 V system yet the high-voltage system won't turn on, the safety box in the battery pack case might need to be replaced. Replacing the safety box is a labor-intensive process that requires an expensive EoS tester to complete the replacement.

Both of these safety systems are designed to protect against damage caused by a significant collision. Based on your description of the damage to this i3, it doesn't seem like it was in a significant collision. If not, it doesn't seem likely that either of these collision safety devices would have been activated, but it's worth checking.

Back