Crippling of Rex - Any Harm To Battery?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3fan

I'm aware of safety concerns associated with the crippling of the Rex. I'm curious if the crippling of the Rex harms its battery in any way, including life of the battery.

No, there is still a 10% buffer beyond the rex activation point. So you never deeply discharge the battery when running the rex. That said because the US rex runs the battery to a low SOC you should really top up as soon as you can afterwards.

Last week I came to a slow empty stop on the freeway. Hazards were on for 45 mins so I was worried that I'd have no power left to select neutral. Thank fully it was not a problem. Once I had filled up the Rex tank the engine burst into life but it was another 2 minutes of running before I had decent propulsion to head back onto the motorway

@BoMW: So you ran out of gas while driving? I'd love a detailed description of that experience. What happens?

BoMW said:
Last week I came to a slow empty stop on the freeway. Hazards were on for 45 mins so I was worried that I'd have no power left to select neutral. Thank fully it was not a problem. Once I had filled up the Rex tank the engine burst into life but it was another 2 minutes of running before I had decent propulsion to head back onto the motorway
Could you discern when the REx engine shut down due to low fuel state, and if so, were you able to travel a couple more EV miles beyond that point?

Chrisn said:
@BoMW: So you ran out of gas while driving? I'd love a detailed description of that experience. What happens?

The experience was quite benign but obviously worrying at the same time.
My battery had already depleted so I was running on Rex which had a 31 mile range left.
My journey home was a further 30 miles so a fill up was necessary.
Not sure how but I became distracted by the media kit and was completely unaware of my empty fuel tank. I noticed my speed being reduced and thought my CC was knocked but as I tried to accelerate there was nothing. I then noticed the amber colour of all the gauges with ------ showing for range.

ultraturtle said:
BoMW said:
Could you discern when the REx engine shut down due to low fuel state, and if so, were you able to travel a couple more EV miles beyond that point?

I had no irregular feedback from the shut down, frankly I was oblivious to the empty state of charge and fuel so only aware when the car was slowing down. What would have saved me was if a warning on the main screen would have also appeared. Because I was completely immersed to a radio programme and Nav screen I failed,to look at the instrument screen.

BoMW said:
ultraturtle said:
I had no irregular feedback from the shut down, frankly I was oblivious to the empty state of charge and fuel so only aware when the car was slowing down.
Damn that quiet REx engine. I've spent the most recent 38 years of my life in the aviation profession, where (with the exception of gliders [sailplanes]), silence is deafening.

Strange there's no advance warning of fuel state - I think BEV has 15 mile audible voice warning. Audi A2 has very loud beep and yellow warning flag on DIS for fuel and even washer fluid!

ultraturle - you mean single engined flying?

ecoangel said:
Strange there's no advance warning of fuel state

There is - its called the fuel gauge :twisted: If the OP was that immersed in the media I hate to imagine what he was missing on the road! :twisted:

MikeS said:
ecoangel said:
Strange there's no advance warning of fuel state

There is - its called the fuel gauge :twisted: If the OP was that immersed in the media I hate to imagine what he was missing on the road! :twisted:
I

Well at 1am the road was empty, no one overtook me and I think that I overtook 6 trucks. With adaptive cruise set at 70mph the drive was bland to say the least

Back