Gig worker looking for his futuristic hatchback

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eNate said:
alohart said:
...Otherwise, charging with the i3's AC Level 1 EVSE, the maximum current would be 10 A, or 1.2 kW...

Ah alternative being an aftermarket 16 amp 120 volt EVSE.

For less than $200 for the unit, I replenish 30% of my battery while plugged in at work for 8 hours,

In your case Instacar7er, that equates to better than 60 miles of range over 10 hours of overnight charging.

This equipment uses a regular outlet? But how could it do 16amp without tripping the breaker?

Instacar7er said:
eNate said:
alohart said:
...Otherwise, charging with the i3's AC Level 1 EVSE, the maximum current would be 10 A, or 1.2 kW...

For less than $200 for the unit, I replenish 30% of my battery while plugged in at work for 8 hours,

In your case Instacar7er, that equates to better than 60 miles of range over 10 hours of overnight charging.

This equipment uses a regular outlet? But how could it do 16amp without tripping the breaker?

20 amp circuit with nothing else on it.

edit to add: I thought you said you were an electrician?

Instacar7er said:
I do have a washer and dryer in the garage but my brother and his wife parks their car in it. How long are those cords? I park in front of the drive way and we have a slot perfect for a 2 inch cord to go through it on the side.

Here's an option.

There's a device called a Dryer Buddy that allows an EV to share a dryer outlet, basically giving the power to the EV unless submission turns on the dryer, in which case the dryer has priority so the EVSE gets shut off

This isn't by code, but you can safely (in conduit) run a dryer extension to a new receptacle closer to the garage door, where you could plug in your Level 2 EVSE, run the cord under the door to the car parked outside in the driveway, and you'd be good to go.

Max permissible EVSE cord length is 25', but again, that's per code (or maybe a design standard). although there are "cheater" extensions available. If I was going to cheat, I'd go with a THHN extension in conduit. It would be cheaper and as safe as any permanent wiring, minus the extra point of connection at the Dryer Buddy

EvanstonI3 said:
Instacar7er said:
eNate said:

20 amp circuit with nothing else on it.

edit to add: I thought you said you were an electrician?

Its 16amp is very close to the breaking point. That’s what I’m referring to. There’s only 6 circuits running in the breaker. So pretty much I’d have to plan out where to use this. Might have to pass on that. I will look at that buddy thing or some sort of splitter so I don’t have to plug and un plug. I’ll still have my Honda Fit so I’ll drive the EV every other day.

eNate said:
Instacar7er said:
I do have a washer and dryer in the garage but my brother and his wife parks their car in it. How long are those cords? I park in front of the drive way and we have a slot perfect for a 2 inch cord to go through it on the side.

Here's an option.

There's a device called a Dryer Buddy that allows an EV to share a dryer outlet, basically giving the power to the EV unless submission turns on the dryer, in which case the dryer has priority so the EVSE gets shut off

This isn't by code, but you can safely (in conduit) run a dryer extension to a new receptacle closer to the garage door, where you could plug in your Level 2 EVSE, run the cord under the door to the car parked outside in the driveway, and you'd be good to go.

Max permissible EVSE cord length is 25', but again, that's per code (or maybe a design standard). although there are "cheater" extensions available. If I was going to cheat, I'd go with a THHN extension in conduit. It would be cheaper and as safe as any permanent wiring, minus the extra point of connection at the Dryer Buddy

And I’m not allowed to do any cutting and drilling. My brother is paranoid thinking too much power will “burn” the house down cause if I had that option, I’d added a new circuit breaker and set its independent power 240v.

Instacar7er said:
And I’m not allowed to do any cutting and drilling. My brother is paranoid thinking too much power will “burn” the house down cause if I had that option, I’d added a new circuit breaker and set its independent power 240v.

I get it, not your house.

The Dryer Buddy device mounts externally. It would be two wall-mounted junction boxes, some surface run rigid conduit, and just a few screws to support all of that. No opening drywall or drilling studs.

As for the 20 amp circuit, it depends on the generation of the construction and what else it serves. Typically garages get their own 20 amp service but that doesn't mean there aren't refrigerators plugged in to it.

eNate said:
Instacar7er said:

I get it, not your house.

The Dryer Buddy device mounts externally. It would be two wall-mounted junction boxes, some surface run rigid conduit, and just a few screws to support all of that. No opening drywall or drilling studs.

As for the 20 amp circuit, it depends on the generation of the construction and what else it serves. Typically garages get their own 20 amp service but that doesn't mean there aren't refrigerators plugged in to it.

I def will get that dyer buddy! Thanks buddy!

Instacar7er said:

BTW an option to the conduit and remotely mounted receptacle is to simply fashion up an extension cord. This is obviously not as well protected or idiot-proof as wire in conduit, but also not as invasive. An extension cord could similarly be attached to the wall to get it off the garage floor and out of the way. Again, this is frowned upon by code, but because an EVSE isn't always a permanently installed device (ie can be removed from the wall, coiled up and thrown in the trunk for use on the road), there's sort of a gray area here.

Ultimately through you're playing with electricity so whatever you do you want to be safe.

eNate said:
Instacar7er said:

BTW an option to the conduit and remotely mounted receptacle is to simply fashion up an extension cord. This is obviously not as well protected or idiot-proof as wire in conduit, but also not as invasive. An extension cord could similarly be attached to the wall to get it off the garage floor and out of the way. Again, this is frowned upon by code, but because an EVSE isn't always a permanently installed device (ie can be removed from the wall, coiled up and thrown in the trunk for use on the road), there's sort of a gray area here.

Ultimately through you're playing with electricity so whatever you do you want to be safe.

There is a bunch of these dryer buddy in Amazon so I’m assuming a lot ev owners have resorted to utilizing that outlet. Yeah I would like to extend the high voltage so as to get a good length to charge in front of the garage. I’m wondering how long those charging stations have of wire when connecting the dryer outlet. I’m sure there is a long cord for those like me who has to charge outside the garage from the dryer buddy. I don’t think voltage drop will actually take in effect from inside the garage to the the front.

Instacar7er said:
I’m wondering how long those charging stations have of wire when connecting the dryer outlet. I’m sure there is a long cord for those like me who has to charge outside the garage from the dryer buddy. I don’t think voltage drop will actually take in effect from inside the garage to the the front.
The power cable on an EVSE isn't typically longer than a couple of feet, so you'd definitely need a 250 V 30 A extension cord. Those can be pricey depending on how much length you would need. By the time you buy a Dryer Buddy, extension cord, and EVSE, you'd have spent a significant portion of a $1,000 bill. However, it's worth spending that much to have the convenience and cost savings of home charging.

alohart said:
Instacar7er said:
I’m wondering how long those charging stations have of wire when connecting the dryer outlet. I’m sure there is a long cord for those like me who has to charge outside the garage from the dryer buddy. I don’t think voltage drop will actually take in effect from inside the garage to the the front.
The power cable on an EVSE isn't typically longer than a couple of feet, so you'd definitely need a 250 V 30 A extension cord. Those can be pricey depending on how much length you would need. By the time you buy a Dryer Buddy, extension cord, and EVSE, you'd have spent a significant portion of a $1,000 bill. However, it's worth spending that much to have the convenience and cost savings of home charging.

1k is worth it. Thanks for the helpful info!

Back