I need to charge my i3 faster but it only has a level 1 socket

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZ i3 Owner

Hi, i have been everywhere trying to to find an answers to the questions below, hopefully someone out there can help.
I have a 2017 I3 that was imported to NZ from Japan. I need to charge it at home, but it only has a level 1 socket, so how do I charge faster?
In New Zealand we have 240v power, and domestic sockets run on 10A.
Will any of the following help me?
1. Get a dedicated 20A or 30A socket installed in my garage?
2. Get a level 2 charger and use a level 2 to 1 adaptor?
3. Sell it and buy something else?
I don't want to use option 3, but that may be my only choice.
Any ideas out there? What will be my maximum charge rate and how do I get it?
Any help would really help this desperate i3 owner.

So many different charger options these days to solve your problem. But selling it is not one of them. A picture of what you are talking about might help immensely.

I have a 2017 I3 that was imported to NZ from Japan. I need to charge it at home, but it only has a level 1 socket, so how do I charge faster?
In New Zealand we have 240v power, and domestic sockets run on 10A.
Will any of the following help me?
1. Get a dedicated 20A or 30A socket installed in my garage?
2. Get a level 2 charger and use a level 2 to 1 adaptor?
Apparently, a Japanese i3 has a Type 1 AC charge port in the frunk and a CHAdeMO DC fast charge port behind the charge port door. Type 1 supports only 1-phase charging. I don't know whether a Japanese i3 has 1 or 2 3.7 kW on-board chargers. If it has only 1 on-board charger, its maximum charging current would be 16 A. If it has 2 on-board chargers, its maximum charging current would be 32 A. In either case, you'd need to install a circuit that would support either 16 A or 32 A for maximum charging speed. This might depend on how far you drive on a typical day. I have been charging our i3's for a decade at 16 A @ 208 V (3.3 kW) which has been plenty fast for the distance I typically drive, so you might not need to maximize your charging power.

If you enter the VIN at mdecoder.com, option 4U8 Rapid Charging, Alternating Current would indicate 2 on-board chargers. An absence of that option would indicate only 1 on-board charger.

A European i3 imported into NZ would have a Type 2 AC charge port as part of its CCS-2 charge port. If NZ public charging stations have Type 2 plugs or you install a Type 2 wallbox, you'd need a Type 2 female to Type 1 male adapter.

Latest posts

Back