Just coming to the party

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge585

Hello, fellow i3'ers, I just picked up my 2017 Rex yesterday, and I am looking forward to getting to know it as well as this group and learning some valuable information. I have done a lot of research and seems I have made a good choice in buying this car. However, I may have been under a rock or something for the past year or so ( I did travel) but was shocked to see I had to pay £180 for annual road tax, that's ridiculousness on steroids, anyway, lips bitten and tax paid, now I hit the road.

Hello, fellow i3'ers, I just picked up my 2017 Rex yesterday, and I am looking forward to getting to know it as well as this group and learning some valuable information. I have done a lot of research and seems I have made a good choice in buying this car. However, I may have been under a rock or something for the past year or so ( I did travel) but was shocked to see I had to pay £180 for annual road tax, that's ridiculousness on steroids, anyway, lips bitten and tax paid, now I hit the road.
Hi welcome You wont be disappointed with.your car, there's lots of mods you can do, I have just bought an upgrade for sat nav and media with CarPlay and android mirroring, it gives the car a nice uplift bought it from naviand bmw the service was unbelievable it was programmed for my vin no and also had 2024 map version video in motion and lots of other options, the rex is great and takes away range anxiety, we do lots of long journeys and don't have to keep looking for charging stations so enjoy and the £180 wont seem so bad after all

Out of curiosity, what circumstances would have resulted in a lower (or higher) tax for you?

Out of curiosity, what circumstances would have resulted in a lower (or higher) tax for you?
I have a 2014 Chrysler Ypsilon 1.2ltr emitting 120 g/km, which costs me £30 per year. So, naturally, my expectation was nothing close to the £180 I paid for this. So, its not a case of what circumstances, its more of a expectation

if it has a REX i believe in the UK at least that they dont consider it a fully electric, more of a hybrid, ridiculous i know but thats the DVLA and our gov for you.
My 2020 all electric is free road tax

Looks like your REX was first licensed after April 1 2017, my REX was first licensed in Feb 17 and has free road tax. At least until next year when even electric cars will have to start paying, I believe.

This might make it a little clearer.

if it has a REX i believe in the UK at least that they dont consider it a fully electric, more of a hybrid, ridiculous i know but thats the DVLA and our gov for you.
My 2020 all electric is free road tax
Thanks. These posts have helped me understand what's going on there and the general reasoning for it. If you want ridiculous, in my part of the USA I'm lucky that my REX is considered a plug-in hybrid because the EV penalty is lower than that for a full EV.

Back