Leaves in the Frunk

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastedon

This is going on year 4 for our owning a 2015 I3, and I am frustrated and "baffled" with the volume of leaves which pile up all over the inside of the frunk, under the screens and inside the accessory box, where they just fill it up. It requires at least a full plucking of the leaves not accessible, and vacuuming of the leaves which are accessible.

Trying to figure out if anyone has solved this issue, as my assumption is they are coming in through the gap at the cowl under the hood. Looking at the underside of the hood design, I'm thinking of installing a "baffle" of soft rubber to eliminate the gap.

Thoughts please.

A rather expensive but effective frunk sealer. It attaches to the underside of the hood with strong Velcro so no tools are needed to install it. Leaves, rainwater, road spray, etc., could still enter the frunk area but not into the frunk box. If you are able to seal the frunk with some sort of baffle or seal, that would be ideal, but it's apparently not easy to do.

You could also get this insulated bag to fit in there for $20-ish.
I think the XX-L is the correct size and if you search the reviews for "BMW" you will find a couple people mentioning that it works great in the BMW i3 Frunk. It does not stop the leaves but keeps your stuff from getting covered in them.

Here is what it looks like installed in someone else's car.

Attachments

• frunk-bag1.png
    frunk-bag1.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
I can attest that the Wokeby solution has banished leaves from the front trunk on my 2018 i3 BEV. It wasn't cheap, but the build quality seems reasonably good, and the installation was pretty straightforward. I did thoroughly clean the front trunk 'bin' while I had it out for the installation, so I can clearly tell that very little dust or other junk has infiltrate since I installed the sealed top. The one thing to be aware of is that there are still drain holes in the bottom of the bin, so under extreme conditions water can get in from beneath.

Back