Model 3 v/s BMW i3 : What it means to me ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSP

Hi Guys,

Here is copy of an email sent to Tesla, BMW Canada, ChargeNow, ChargePoint.

Your thoughts/critique

CSP
--
Code:
Date : 99-OCT-2016

0000 XXXXXXX Rd
       Cambridge, ON
       X9X X9X
       Canada

To : Tesla Motors
     ATTN : Sales and Marketing
     Fremont, CA
     USA

CC : BMW Canada
     ATTN : Sales and Marketing
     Richmond Hill, ON
     L4S 0C8
     Canada

Ref : Model 3 RN???????? booking

Sub : Why we bought an i3 REX, in-spite of booking a Model 3

Dear Tesla,

In the interest of transparency this email is being CC'ed to BMW Canada, ChargeNow, ChargePoint, as their products/services are discussed.

Background : In April 2016, we reserved a Model 3, since our friend owns a Model S (XXXX YYYY) and were impressed with the vehicle. Unfortunately our current car (Volvo V70 2004), was totalled (Aug 2016) in an accident and the hunt for a replacement was initiated. We are in the US for significant portions in time, in the mid-west.

1. In September 2016, contacted Tesla via email after browsing the 'pre-owned' cars and having identified Model S-85 listed at $49,000. The email asked if the vehicle could be upgraded with necessary components to import to Canada along with suitable documentation at the end of our assignment. [This issue has been raised with sale and have never received a satisfactory answer].

2. Next day I received a call from a Tesla-representative with whom my concerns were discussed at length, including if the pre-owned Model S 85 was purchased - Tesla would agree for a trade-in when Model 3 delivery was scheduled. He had no answer, and did not make any effort to escalate to find out what possibilities could be offered by Tesla.

3. The reason for considering a pre-owned Model S, was that Tesla offered the same warranty as on a new ICE car [ 4 years ..];  there was no indication of adaptation for importation to Canada or trade-in at time of Model 3 delivery, which was a disappointment.

4. This lead us to view used ICE vehicles for the interim period till the Model 3 will be delivered. As a consequence drove a BMW 5-Series; we were impressed. So took a test drive in a BMW i3, given the CDN $13,000 rebate from the govt. of Ontario - it made sense. The i3 made perfect sense for our usage except for the electric range, hence opted for REX (range-extender).

5. Bought BMW i3 REX, 2016 from the XXXXX, Ontario dealership, and drove it from Cambridge,ON to mid-west with two charges and the REX. All local driving has been in electric mode for the last two weeks. The safety features and self parking work as specified.

MY THOUGHTS:

1. Due to Tesla's representative not attempting to (a) get resolution for the importation (b) trade-in of a used Model S at time of Model 3 delivery. I am considering if the Model 3 booking should be cancelled.

2. The only reason for me to keep the Model 3 booking is the 'SuperCharger' network, and north American product. But I will watch and wait....

3. After seeing the fine design in the BMW both i3 and 5-series, if BMW is able to deliver on it's promises to deliver an EV for the 3 or 5 series, coupled with a wide 'DC FAST Charge' network in partnership with 'ChargeNow/ChargePoint', by 2019 I would seriously consider trading in my i3 for a BMW EV for 3 or 5 series. A fast charge network that will reflect the Tesla SuperCharger network in US and Canada. I would strongly consider cancelling my Model 3 booking.
      (a) i3 manufacturing using recycled material
      (b) i3 carbon fibre passenger module frame
      (c) Using solar and wind to power production plants
      (d) Reducing water usage in the manufacturing process
       + Are all things I support for sustainability, never heard of anything like this from Tesla. BMW is trying to reduce the carbon footprint right from the manufacturing process. Makes much more sense, it is a whole solution.

4. If BMW offers upgrade of the battery-pack for the i3, I will be sold to BMW.

SIDE NOTE:
  Since Daimler and BMW have announced EV cars, given their reputation for 'fine design', I fear that Tesla may be relegated to become the 'Honda' of EV cars.

Do not hesitate to contact me, if there is need for more information.

Best wishes

CXXXXX PXXXXX
--
Email : [email protected]

It is a fine letter but I would share with you something that probably does not belong in that letter.

• Significant parts of the USA have no access to anything beyond a L1, 120VAC circuit outlet. Even L2 EVSEs are often further apart than full battery range and too slow for anything but a 2-3 hour nap with our BMW i3-REx, much less a Tesla. Although we appreciate Tesla's efforts to spread fast, DC chargers, plug-share shows more of a thin gossamer web than full coverage network.

The transition to electric highways and streets is starting but we are at least a decade away from universal. Worse, significant rural areas are being totally left behind. By the time I wear out the BMW i3-REx engine, it may change but that is not the case today.

Bob Wilson

Exactly - How could we, influence public policy to accelerate implementation of 'Fast Charge' networks along the interstate corridors ? In Ontario the govt. is putting in many L2 stations, but no 'Fast Chargers'.

For us the commute from Chicago to Cambridge, Ontario is once or twice a month. I know there are many who do the Chicago - Detroit weekly. The I-94/90 having more 'Fast Charger' would help sell more lower range EVs and give economic boost.

Thanx

CSP

The Ontario government is spending $20 million to install 274 level 2 and 211 level 3 fast chargers by March 31, 2017. Locations may be found at this link https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/07/electric-vehicle-charging-stations.html
We are looking forward to using these chargers!

Back