Need to STOP i3 from automatically locking doors when moving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCakes

My USA model 2017 i3 does not have an iDrive option for whether to auto lock doors or not. I'm also not seeing that in BimmerCode under the main options -- never gone into advance because don't know how to use those.

I have done extensive research with not much success. The only thing I came up was a post indicating that while it can't be disabled, you can code the speed at which auto lock occurs to an insanely high value which is never reached (e.g. 150 mph), but it was not explained where that coding option is.

Without a doubt, this is my #1 frustration with the car. I'm a big boy and can decide when I want to lock the doors. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to go back to the driver's side after forgetting that the truck/passenger's door auto locked. Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I can't help with the coding, but it must be possible to code it to offer the on/off option, because UK-spec cars have the option to turn it off (in fact I think the default from the factory is "off").

It may be worth trying the BMW i3 Modified Facebook group, as they have had good coding threads in the past.

They require the doors to be LOCKED while driving in order to pass Crash Tests in the USA. This will vary depending on the Country though. I am going to guess that the option to enable/disable/change this is tied to the VIN of your car.

They require the doors to be LOCKED while driving in order to pass Crash Tests in the USA. This will vary depending on the Country though. I am going to guess that the option to enable/disable/change this is tied to the VIN of your car.
Someone always says this, and it's not true. Plenty of modern US cars offer it as an easily accessible setting.

JohnnyCakes: It bothered the heck out of me too. I have bimmercode, was not able to find a solution and gave up.

It's a bit confusing in Bimmercode, but there is an option in "headunit" to enable "lock after pulling away" checkbox. Once you do this, you can uncheck the checkbox in the iDrive menu system related to locking. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

It's a bit confusing in Bimmercode, but there is an option in "headunit" to enable "lock after pulling away" checkbox. Once you do this, you can uncheck the checkbox in the iDrive menu system related to locking. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but with my 2017 USA model, there no option in iDrive to check/uncheck so nothing to enable. That's just not in the menu system, unless you are saying that that code puts it in the iDrive system AND enables unchceck

Someone always says this, and it's not true. Plenty of modern US cars offer it as an easily accessible setting.

JohnnyCakes: It bothered the heck out of me too. I have bimmercode, was not able to find a solution and gave up.

This is just frustrating the crap out of me. If anyone has any details on setting the speed the autolock engages to an astronomically high MPH or any other solution, please post!

Thanks, but with my 2017 USA model, there no option in iDrive to check/uncheck so nothing to enable. That's just not in the menu system, unless you are saying that that code puts it in the iDrive system AND enables unchceck

This is just frustrating the crap out of me. If anyone has any details on setting the speed the autolock engages to an astronomically high MPH or any other solution, please post!
Yes, if I recall correctly, enabling the option in Bimmercode puts a menu option in the iDrive system and thus allows you to check or uncheck it as desired. It worked for me!

It cannot be disabled, but it can be modified under advanced options in Bimmercode. You need to enter a custom value of FF. FF is 255 in hexidecimal, so the doors will automatically lock at 255 MPH.

BDC Body Module:
3040 : VAM_SPEED_LIMIT_ PIA_AUTO_LOCK set to: werte = FF

If you are going 255MPH, you have more to worry about then the doors locking automatically.

Back