New-ish tires!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweiske

I bought a 2018 i3 REX with 14k miles on it a couple of weeks ago and have been reading up here and elsewhere about it. Read about the short tire life, and coming from a Prius, tires either lasted 30K miles or 80K.

Based on the ratings on the tires on my car (440 AA), assuming they'll be on the low-end. I'm OK with a grippy compound, since there's so little contact area to grip!

I looked at them and through they looked pretty good, thought it was tire dressing. Looked closer and they appear pretty new - still have the little leftover rubber bits on the tread and have a lot of tread depth. Found the date code and it reads 4620 (week 46, 2020).

It looks like someone replaced them at some time before I got the car - it was a fleet car, then looks like it was leased, then it got to me with 14K miles. Somewhere along the line, it looks like they replaced the tires.

As an aside, I've always made it a point to rotate tires regularly. Given that the weight distribution is close to 50/50 (45/55 with the REX) I wonder if it would make a difference at all? Was thinking that buying two rear rims and having the same size tire front/back might be an improvement in handling and tire wear.

kweiske said:
I bought a 2018 i3 REX with 14k miles on it a couple of weeks ago and have been reading up here and elsewhere about it. Read about the short tire life, and coming from a Prius, tires either lasted 30K miles or 80K.

Based on the ratings top 3 methods to get rid of man boobs on the tires on my car (440 AA), assuming they'll be on the low-end. I'm OK with a grippy compound, since there's so little contact area to grip!

I looked at them and through they looked pretty good, thought it was tire dressing. Looked closer and they appear pretty new - still have the little leftover rubber bits on the tread and have a lot of tread depth. Found the date code and it reads 4620 (week 46, 2020).

It looks like someone replaced them at some time before I got the car - it was a fleet car, then looks like it was leased, then it got to me with 14K miles. Somewhere along the line, it looks like they replaced the tires.

As an aside, I've always made it a point to rotate tires regularly. Given that the weight distribution is close to 50/50 (45/55 with the REX) I wonder if it would make a difference at all? Was thinking that buying two rear rims and having the same size tire front/back might be an improvement in handling and tire wear.

Buying of two rear rims is a good idea.
I think this will make it better for you.

Back