New wheel & tire nearly $900 to replace?!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg

Hi,

I hit a nasty pot hole last night which took out my front tire and bent the inside part of my 20-inch rim.

The dealer wants to replace both, for approximately:

20-inch Sport Wheel (front) - $640
Front tire - $250

The pricing seems high!

Tire Rack has the same tire for $135 + $15 shipping.

I thought I'd ask you folks what you think.

This is at San Francisco BMW. The car is leased.

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-2016-BMW-I3-20-5JX20-FRONT-RIGHT-ALLOY-RIM-WHEEL-OEM-36116856898-/322409966265?hash=item4b1121aab9:g:vhoAAOSwxg5X0uQI&vxp=mtr

Why people keep going to the stealership I will never know...

Don't know for sure, but the dealer may have included a new TPMS, which would make the price of the tire about right.

BMW's pricing on tire/wheels can sometimes be weird. It's often cheaper, when it's offered, to buy a complete wheel/tire as a package than to piece it together. I know that was the case when buying a winter tire package...a complete wheel/tire/sensor/balanced was cheaper than parting the separate things out by a very significant amount. The wheel alone was more than the package - it was like getting the tire/sensor/mounting for free, and still saving.

steveg said:
Hi,

I hit a nasty pot hole last night which took out my front tire and bent the inside part of my 20-inch rim.

The dealer wants to replace both, for approximately:

20-inch Sport Wheel (front) - $640
Front tire - $250

The pricing seems high!

Tire Rack has the same tire for $135 + $15 shipping.

I thought I'd ask you folks what you think.

This is at San Francisco BMW. The car is leased.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

America's Tire matches online prices and a new TPMS sensor is about $15 if you need one, which I doubt you do.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure if this would have been an issue, but since the dealer (and thus BMW) knew about the wheel damage and the car is leased, I'm not sure if I could have fixed outside a BMW dealer.

One twist to this to keep in mind if it happens to you, is the BMW Roadside Service will only tow your car to a BMW dealer. I learned that Sunday night!

Also, just two days later the car is ready to pick up and I didn't have much time to dive into this. I also just returned to work this week (isn't life lovely at times) and it's burned up all my time. Last week I would have had all the time in the world to dig into this.

And yes, it would have been cheaper to buy a used wheel and a tire from Tire Rack, but then I'd have no car for a number of days and I need a way to get to work (they gave me a loaner X1).

Again, timing...

Thanks again!

Back