Nissans 60kW battery pack: details

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodlandHills

Very interesting article about Nissans plans for longer range EVs:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100775_nissans-60-kwh-200-mile-battery-pack-what-we-know-so-far

A couple of quick takeaways: they decided to go with dozens of smaller cells (like Tesla) since there had been zero problems with connections in the smaller packs used in the current Leaf and also that air cooling was sufficient. Not only that but they ruled out forced air cooling by fan too, so perhaps heavy liquid cooling systems are not really necessary for long battery life. (the new battery is rated at 90% after 5 years, not 80%)
Lastly, the new 60kWh battery pack weighs only 220lbs/100k more than the 24kWh battery it would replace: that's just a brother-in-law heavier than the existing one. I would be willing to swap the weight of a REx or a single passenger in exchange for a 200+ mile range.....
If Nissan can successfully bring a passively aircooled 60kWh battery powered Leaf Mk2 to market in the next few years that will certainly shake up the business!

FWIW, the warranty on the i3's current battery pack is at least 70% after 8-years or 100K miles. Leaf had big problems in areas like southern Arizona from the heat...not sure how well air cooling will work when it's 110-degrees in the shade, not counting the heat radiating off of the asphalt out on the highway! Their newer designs are supposed to be better. Maybe too early to tell for sure. Same issue with the i3...too early to tell. The Germans tend to over-engineer things, so I'd stick my bet on BMW verses Nissan.

As production experience and continued research progresses, higher energy density, lower costs, faster charge/discharge capabilities all have been improving. It is a moving target that will only get better. If you always seek out the latest, greatest, you'll end up spending lots of money in the process. Wants verses needs sometimes requires some discipline to keep things in check.

60kWh vs. 21.6 for me would be a real world range of 250-300 miles in the summer, 175-225 in the winter. Want that!

Frank

fdl1409 said:
60kWh vs. 21.6 for me would be a real world range of 250-300 miles in the summer, 175-225 in the winter. Want that!

Frank

In the long run, it is all about weight first and then battery density. A Tesla R&D manager was interviewed recently (can't find the link anymore) and he talked about how they have to use other materials in the Model 3, to keep price down and guarantee some range. Nissan is (apparently) replacing pillars with lighter materials (potentially CFRP) in the study shown at the recent Tokyo show.

Improved batteries are a given in the medium to long run. But it's the alternative, weight saving chassis technologies - like CFRP and mounted body panels - that are a decisive factor. Of course, no Tesla-geeked-out-press-announcement will tell you that.

Overall, it's exciting to see all the different trends and kudos to all companies pushing the envelope in different directions.

Back