Owner by accident

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuploCar

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I have been busy moving into the car and getting a status of required repairs.
I got to own this car by accident. I had a 2005 Fiat Panda in grey with all the trimmings, but a mature guy a my age decided to change lane where he was not allowed and ended up destroying the front wheel & steering arrangement. Luckely I got out of it without any permanent injuries.

My kidbrother had the i3 when they where new which I got to drive it a lot. I loved it with its quirks.
In my country the roadtax on fossile fuel cars are currently going up; As well as the tax on fossile fuel.
Since I live in the city driving less than 10k km a year, buying a used electric became very attractive.
The i3 was not my first choice due to its price, but I ended up getting a very attractive offer on model with a some stuff to fix.
I did not go into this blindly and are well aware of the premium price on the spares, but I do a lot of fixing and has a nack for repairing stuff. So lets see if I can't do a lot of it myself.

The i3 in question is a 33 kWh BEV from 2017 with less than 60.000 km on the clock.
I am the 3rd owner. Its an import from Germany. The first own decided to go with 20" staggered tires, all black.
He did not like the original colours; He has filmed the gray and blue trim with black, which makes the car quite imposing.
It has a nice leather interior which was never given any leatherpolish by any of its owners, but the wear is miniscule.

My purpose here is share and find ways around some of the more irritating stuff, like the irritating warning sounds like when I has to go outside the car to open fences to access propperties. Get access to the ODBD information as well as keeping the car in a good condition.

So thanks in advance to all of you :)

Best regards,
Nick

The story of my nick name
When my kidbrother owned a BMW i3 he lend it to me whenever he was out of town. One day my girlfriend looked at the car and exclamed that it looked like something LEGO had build in their Duplo-series. After that the car was named the duplo car :ROFLMAO:. There was not any shaming involved for us since It always gave us a smile could borrow it. When my brother found out he was not amused, since he saw himself as a serious guy :cool:

License the BimmerCode smartphone app and buy an OBD to WiFi or Bluetooth adapter. The BimmerCode Website lists i3 behaviors that can be changed in BimmerCode's standard mode. Expert mode reveals all parameters that affect various behaviors, but many of them do nothing on an i3 and some could have surprising and maybe undesirable side effects, so be careful in Expert mode.

BMW owners call changing these behaviors "coding" although no computer code is changed, only parameter values. Search the Internet for "BMW coding" to find information about various parameter value changes.

The BimmerLink app is an OBD scanner that displays stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) and can erase most DTC's. It uses the same OBD adapter that BimmerCode uses.

The BimmerFlow app displays data provided by the battery management system (BMS). It shows the minimum and maximum voltages, capacities, charge levels, and temperatures among the 96 battery cells as well as the calculated state of health and charge level. These data can help assess the health of the battery pack.

Back