Potential Buyer with a few simple questions :)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Alohart. Been to BMW twice for it they say the software is up to date and cannot replicate issue.
I didn't push it as it happens maybe once a year, and I just park turn off the car and wait a minute then its all good.

Thank you Alohart. Been to BMW twice for it they say the software is up to date and cannot replicate issue.
I didn't push it as it happens maybe once a year, and I just park turn off the car and wait a minute then its all good.
Not sure what BMW means by your software being "up to date". BMW issues system software updates every 4 months, so it wouldn't be up to date unless it has the current software version.

BMW's SIB states that the integration level must be I001-20-03-520 or higher (March, 2020, or later) to avoid this electric power steering bug. If the integration level of your i3 is I001-20-03-520 or higher, there's apparently no other system software fix. However, if it is older than I001-20-03-520, a newer software version should fix the EPS problem.

Question 5:

The sunroof option really isn't as cool as I thought it would be. The twin skylight thing looks neat, and that's why I got it, but I wouldn't do it a second time. Particularly if one is bald, it's cold in the winter and -- at latitudes that probably don't apply to the OP -- lets too much sun through with the screen closed in the Summer.

A standard (US) bale of straw fits perfectly in the trunk without folding the seats or removing the cover panel.

Also that hook-attachment-thing on a Swiss Army Knife that I never figured out a use for makes pulling the bale out by the baling wire much easier on the fingers.
Here is why I am looking for an i3 with sunroof. I have owned an i3 for 7+ years and you will find that rolling down your window 1/4 % or more, you will get a horrible buffeting sound at 45mph or higher. I hate to use the air conditioner if it’s not warmer than 90*. The sunroof would ventilate with much less sound entering the cabin.

Here is why I am looking for an i3 with sunroof. I have owned an i3 for 7+ years and you will find that rolling down your window 1/4 % or more, you will get a horrible buffeting sound at 45mph or higher. I hate to use the air conditioner if it’s not warmer than 90*. The sunroof would ventilate with much less sound entering the cabin.
Temper your expectations to avoid disappointment. And I know about the buffeting. YMMV based (a lot) on your possibly more temperate climate, but my sunroof just doesn't here. Maybe 10-20 days a year it might be nice. And again, the sun through the screen still burning my bald head in August. Ouch.

Temper your expectations to avoid disappointment. And I know about the buffeting. YMMV based (a lot) on your possibly more temperate climate, but my sunroof just doesn't here. Maybe 10-20 days a year it might be nice. And again, the sun through the screen still burning my bald head in August. Ouch.
I used to think the same about the sunroof getting very hot in summer (San Diego area). However, I have read about delamination problems on i3's with solid roofs. That sounds like a way bigger problem. 2017 REx 19" wheels Tera 75k miles as of 19jan2024

I used to think the same about the sunroof getting very hot in summer (San Diego area). However, I have read about delamination problems on i3's with solid roofs. That sounds like a way bigger problem.
CFRP clear coat degradation can be prevented by wrapping the roof with a light-colored vinyl film or by painting it a light color. A sunroof in Honolulu's tropical sun would bake the cabin. Besides, a sunroof with its metal roof adds quite a bit of weight exactly where adding weight isn't ideal. Then there are the rainwater leak problems and motors and switches that could fail.

Attachments

• tempImageqSE9GK.png
    tempImageqSE9GK.png
    446.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for that info Alohart, Once we get through this cold snap I will schedule an appointment with them and point out the service bulletin you referenced.

Thats why I love communities like this. you guys are awesome!

The sun roof is a take or leave it option. I have it, I use it, but I don't need it.

It really depends on where you live. The screens for it do a good job blocking the sun but again that is based on where you live.

Personally I do like that its a dual thing, wife likes her screen closed and I like the sun baking me.

That buffeting / pulsing sound tends to happen in all cars if you have only one window very slightly open while driving - it’s caused by the Venturi effect where the air rushing past the opening is at a lower pressure so sucks air out of the car. After a fraction of a second that air leaving the car causes the pressure in the car to lower so air flows back in and the cycle repeats over and over. The resulting pressure pulses from air rushing in and out can be really painful on the ears. If you open the window wider it usually goes away (or you can lower another window slightly which also gets rid of it). Having the sunroof open doesn’t usually cause the effect because the opening is much larger but still occasionally it does (has happened on all our i3s). So a sunroof could help but there are easier and cheaper ways to get rid of the pressure effect. As an aside we also know that Porsche 911 targas, which have a large removable roof section like a sunroof can suffer from a similar effect even though that open area is quite large…

AC compressors seem to be an issue with early I3s 2017 and before.
Search for BMW i3 and compressor failures.
The costs of AC compressor/condensor replacement and possibly battery cooling line replacement can be prohibitively expensive.
I think the EME has been redesigned over the years as well. One person had a fuse break to open circuit in the EME when his AC compressor/heater went bad.

Back