Question on engine coolant maintenance schedule: 125k miles

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendeerd

Hello all. Just purchased a 2014 REX with 125k miles.
I am thinking the REX coolant is due for a change. I can not find and schedule for this or any procedures.
Can someone help me out here?

I am thinking that all coolant loops should be changed since the car is approaching 10 years old.

I do all my own maintenance and would like to do this on my own.

Cheers.

I found that the BMW the blue coolant should be good for 150000 miles or 5 years.
From this I am overdue for a change on calendar life.

Anyone out there have the procedure for the coolant change?

David

There are actually two coolants, one which keeps the battery cool and the other which is for the Heater system.
FCP Euro sells both, and the one for the battery appears to be BMW Part# 83512355296
Mix 50/50 with distilled water. I haven't yet seen any posts on the procedure to flush, just the one YouTube on changing the coolant pump.

I'm also trying to determine the which ones are used under the frunk. I would assume that the black cap one in the rear is for the Battery Coolant.

I'm creating a maintenance log for my 2014 i3 (Non-Rex) see attached. I actually have this in Excel.

Attachments

• Vehicle_Service_Log_BMW I3_JOR.pdf
    223.1 KB · Views: 1
There are actually two coolants, one which keeps the battery cool and the other which is for the Heater system.
The HV battery pack is cooled by the refrigerant in the heat pump or A/C system, not by coolant. However, the propulsion motor and the motor electronics (EME) are cooled by the coolant not used by the cabin heater.

Good to know!
Do you know which coolant goes it the "black" container? Heater Circuit? I would assume BMW 83512355296.
As the other white container in front appears to be for regular coolant, like BMW 82141467704.

Does anyone know where instructions for flushing can be found, for both types? As well as capacity of each.

Attachments

• 20240327_092606.jpg
    20240327_092606.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
The HV battery pack is cooled by the refrigerant in the heat pump or A/C system, not by coolant. However, the propulsion motor and the motor electronics (EME) are cooled by the coolant not used by the cabin heater.
Back in the day, A Haynes manual was the be all & end all for working on cars. Is that still true? And do they make one for I3? If not, which one is a good DIY book

If you have a computer and quite a bit of hard drive space you can download ISTA and it should give you all the instructions. It's a free download if you search around. You will need an ENET OBD2 cable, though. It's what the BMW techs use to diagnose and repair the cars.

The Heating System Circuit, Black Tank, takes BMW Part#: 83512355296

The Coolant Drive Circuit, White Tank, takes BMW Part#: 82141467704

Mix both 50/50 with distilled water. I get my BMW parts at FCP Euro, due to their lifetime warranty (even on wear out items).

Good to know!
Do you know which coolant goes it the "black" container? Heater Circuit? I would assume BMW 83512355296.
As the other white container in front appears to be for regular coolant, like BMW 82141467704.

Does anyone know where instructions for flushing can be found, for both types? As well as capacity of each.
The black container is the expansion tank for the REX cooling system. I think it has to be refilled and bleed using a vacuum system.

The white tank is the expansion tank for the electric motor. It's draining and refilling is deep. It also needs a vacuum refill procedure.

To me, it doesn't look like a home mechanic job because of the special tools. Ask the dealer. I'll try to get the documents on the procedures later.

My 2014 is not a REX, and has two containers.

Maybe good easiest to just swap out the fluid in the containers every couple years, when bleeding the brakes.

If you have a computer and quite a bit of hard drive space you can download ISTA and it should give you all the instructions. It's a free download if you search around. You will need an ENET OBD2 cable, though. It's what the BMW techs use to diagnose and repair the cars.
I've done just that with ISTA 4.39.20. ISTA is able to read the VIN of our i3, so the OBD to Ethernet cable is working at least partially, but ISTA is unable to do anything else for reasons that I haven't been able to figure out. It is also unable to do anything after I enter the VIN manually.

ISTA isn't particularly user-friendly for those who aren't authorized to use it.

Back