Replacing the REX Fuel tank pressure / temperature sensor

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imchrisd

I'm getting 2 errors with my 2016 i3 Rex:

09 Range extender motor electronics
117000: Fuel tank pressure / temperature sensor circuit: Malfunction or open circuit

1D Hybrid pressure refuelling electronic control unit
D04C1E: Sub-bus failed / tank pressure sensor does not respond

So from what I've read, this could be a bad fuel tank pressure temperature sensor, which would be great because that's covered under an extended warranty. My question is, could this be caused by a bad relay? Also, can you see the sensor if you take the Frunk out? I'm thinking I should check to see that it's seated properly before I take it into BMW.

The dealer told me it would cost $225 for a diagnostic check and if it is a bad sensor they will replace it for free and they'll be no cost. I just want to make sure that's the problem before I take it in.

Hi,

Did you find a solution to the 117000 FC? I just had the same pop up on my 2013 REX. Wondering it it might be a faulty fuel pump relay that causes this.

BR
Thomas

Here's an update. I ended up taking my car to the dealer, and that part is covered under an extended warranty as apparently they go bad often. So I was able to get it repaired for free.

And the cherry on top of the cake was they gave me a new 430i convertible as a loaner car. I'm glad the repair took two days.

- Chris

IMG_4633.jpeg

imchrisd said:
And the cherry on top of the cake was they gave me a new 430i convertible as a loaner car. I'm glad the repair took two days.

- Chris

IMG_4633.jpeg
Wow! That puts to shame the X3 loaner that I was given when I took our i3 in for a system software update recently.

Nice loaner!

So which part did they end up replacing? The fuel tank pressure sensor?

I watched today a great YouTube video on change the sensor, which requires dropping the gas tank as the sensor is inside. I bet it’s an expensive job.

Back