Single home / Charging Station / Dealing with HOA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaypi

Hi guys,

my BMW i3 parks at the street cause there is no space in the driveway and therefore the power cord goes across the sidewalk. I already know that there will be someone who is complaining about it. There are a couple of rules you have to follow in order to get it approved but are you aware of any external companies who deal with all of that and you pay them just monthly for the charging station?

Btw. I live in California.

Thanks
JP

Have you tried contacting ChargePoint? I have received a few e-mails from them, and it sounds like they are starting to do just what you are asking for. I have no need, so I have not contacted them, but it's worth a shot!

jadnashuanh said:
Have you tried contacting ChargePoint? I have received a few e-mails from them, and it sounds like they are starting to do just what you are asking for. I have no need, so I have not contacted them, but it's worth a shot!

The will just install in your garage.

There are lots of EVSE designed to be mounted on a pole. Running the power to it and setting a pole could be a problem, but possible. I take it that you can't swap places with the car(s) that are in the garage. I had a little trouble with my HOA of my townhouse, but we came up with a suitable solution. Mine has the EVSE in the garage, but a pass-though hole in the wall covered with a hinged mailbox on a plate. I also installed a GFCI protected 20A 120vac receptacle for things like plugging in a vacuum cleaner, air compressor, or the OUC, should I need that as a backup. If you did put in an external one, you may want to switch it so that someone else doesn't use it without your permission and jack up your electric bill. I did put a switch on my external 120vac receptacle for that purpose, and put the level 2's cord back inside when not using it (at least if I'm going to be away for awhile).

In the interim, they do make cord protector ramps (has a slot for the cord) that you could buy so that someone on a bike or stroller or wheel chair has a better chance of crossing over the cord without issue (well, fewer!) or damaging the cord. None of the cords are really designed to be walked on, and crossing a sidewalk, you risk that issue. As it is, a black cord crossing the sidewalk, you leave yourself open for a liability lawsuit.

Back