smart phones, pairing problems, displaying addresses

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beback

I have bmw i3 rex 2014. and 3 smart phones. Moto X (1st Gen), Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.

when I attempted to pair my smart phones, I noticed one strange thing.
All of them pair OK I can make phone calls and I can see my phone records with phone numbers.
But only Moto X displayed the record -- phone # and the address of a person in the phone book and I can use those with GPS.

The other two display only names with phone numbers.
I don't know why only the older phone pairs fully with the UDM,
and the only difference (apart from being made by 3 different companies) Moto X has KitKat and both Nexuses have Lollipop.

Now they offer an update 5.1 for Moto X. I am wondering if I will loose the ability to see addressees with the new OS
I am a little scary, cause the operation is irreversible.
I have over one thousand records, putting addresses manually in the vehicles memory is insane in this age.

What do you think?
And who had luck displaying addresses in i3 and what brand phone did the trick? ))
What OS it had?

(not interested in iPhone success at all, apparently BMW loves Apple,
and the list on
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BluetoothTechnology/bluetoothframedin.aspx
has the most number of compatible phones,
so their loyal users have no problems displaying addresses)))
I am not switching to iPhone just for that reason anytime soon)) :lol:

I also thought that apple was the preferred mobile accessory but pairing it to the i3 is far from successful.
I was in the dealer two days ago and tried to pair my phone in a i3 with enhanced BT.
I was unable to view saved SMS under office, I was also unable to reply, read out or delete a SMS and not able to,compose afresh.
Then I genius sat inside with his Samsung, he pared up and had all past SMS visible including
Emails and was able to fully manipulate them using the I drive only.

Seems Apple are behind Samsung in the que.

The different Android versions will definitely produce different results.

My iPhone6 works fine, though I find BMW's Office to be a pretty temperamental product. In case I understand that's not an option for you.

Which raises a strange question, does a vehicle's support for a particular phone OS actually cause car buyers to change their purchase preference?

It will for me. I'm fed up with having to pay for map updates and map updates that really are several years behind the times. Transfers of destination data from my iphone6 to the i3 is also a hit or miss item. From hence forwards, I won't purchase a car that will not allow the car screen to link with my iphone 6 nav screen. Probably out of luck with the big 3 Germans as BMW, M-B and Audi have just purchased Nokia's mapping business. So, I expect the same performance as always since Nokia's system was used by these companies, anyway. As an example, I purchased an M-B in 2006 with Nav. The nav system was routing me around construction that had been completed 2 years prior. Checked the nav system in a new M-B in 2010 and it was still doing it. I have a TEST address in an old neighborhood of Houston that none of my M-B nav systems could find, but my BMW, Porsche, and Google can. When I bought my last car earlier this summer, it was a BMW 528i because it's nav system could find that address, while the M-B E could not. From now on, Apple Car Play is a must for me.

Latest posts

Back