Sticky and stiff steering

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack1226

Hi folks, just wondering if anybody have the same problem like me. My 2017 i3 rex steering is very stiff and sticky, it never center itself after a turn and you have to mannuly turn the steering wheel back to center. I take it to the alignment shop and the guy told me it's not relate the alignment. Any suggestion?

Our 2014 BEV wandered a bit side to side at freeway speeds. Trying to make the small corrections necessary to keep driving straight were made more difficult by stiction that prevented the steering wheel from turning until sufficient force was applied which then usually overcorrected.

Our 2021 BEV doesn't have this problem.

The steering wheels on both would not recenter on their own. I'm totally accustomed to helping the steering wheel recenter after a turn, so this isn't a problem for me.

Tire wear was very even on our 2014 other than the usual increased wear on the right rear tire, so I don't believe that an alignment would have helped.

Back