Transmission oil change on a Rex from 2016 onwards

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use any clean container/PET bottle at height, connect the hose to it and fill it with the oil. This way you can keep the oil container to store the old oil.

Attachments

• Filling oil under gravity.jpeg
    Filling oil under gravity.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 0
Originally the set up included a 200ml syringe with a ~5 lb weight on it. But the seal in the syringe was not great and some oil bypassed it. It also did not go in much faster than under gravity (~4 ft).
I did get in all the oil in a very clean way.
Best set up that I can imagine now is: increase hole to 0.9mm or 1.0mm and connect the (1/4x1/8") hose directly to the cap of the oil container which is placed upside down on a high level, say 4-5 ft above gear box. make a pinhole in the bottom of the container to allow air in.
Is that 1/4” OD by 1/8” ID tubing you used? Also you mentioned loctite, do you think that’s necessary? Ordering BOM now.

Originally the set up included a 200ml syringe with a ~5 lb weight on it. But the seal in the syringe was not great and some oil bypassed it. It also did not go in much faster than under gravity (~4 ft).
I did get in all the oil in a very clean way.
Best set up that I can imagine now is: increase hole to 0.9mm or 1.0mm and connect the (1/4x1/8") hose directly to the cap of the oil container which is placed upside down on a high level, say 4-5 ft above gear box. make a pinhole in the bottom of the container to allow air in.
If you are going to make a batch of modified drain/filler plugs put me on that list.

Back